When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Elgin Bicycle - Can you tell me what I have?

-
new tires, service, wash and wax and ride it until the tires fall off, then repeat.

A photo of the serial number on the bottom would be helpful for dating it.

Your camera will see more than you will, no need to scratch off the paint or anything. (by the way, that old Elgin enamel cleans up really nicely.)

I'm thinking between 1939 and 1941-2
Like you said - looks all original or very close.
My pennies worth - simple wash and wax, new tires tubes - grease it up or have a bike shop do it if needed.
Sounds like it's been in your family for a while..............keep it that way !!!

Don't restore, it would look lovely after a nice bath, or after I give it a nice bath...Any plans on moving it along?

Thank you all for the notes and I will go try to get a picture of the serial number. It is clear that it is better to leave the bike as is. If I was interested in parting with it, is this the best site for that (vs. ebay, etc.)? I would like for it to go to a good owner. What is the best way to determine a value? Thank you all again.

Thank you all for the notes and I will go try to get a picture of the serial number. It is clear that it is better to leave the bike as is. If I was interested in parting with it, is this the best site for that (vs. ebay, etc.)? I would like for it to go to a good owner. What is the best way to determine a value? Thank you all again.
For what the general public thinks it's worth, put it on an Ebay auction with a reserve of what you think it's worth. If you want it to go to a good home, advertise it here. But be cautious, it might go to someone who just wants to make a buck by parting it out. If I were you, I would give it a good cleaning, grease all ofvthe bearings and ride it like you stole it.

Back