Elgin broken stem thoughts?

This ad disappears when logged in

jchicago

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jul 28, 2017
Lake Zurich, IL, United States
I recently bought this '36 Elgin Oriole to restore and the handlebars were already swinging loose. I thought they just needed tightening. When I was disassembling the bike last night, I discovered the stem is actually broken. Ugh. Thankfully and luckily, I also have the piece that's broken off. It came off with the screw as I removed it (Believe me, no forcing took place, the head was all WD40'd up and came right off).

Looking for suggestions on the best way to remedy this?

Elgin Broken Stem.jpg

Elgin Broken Stem Piece.jpg

Autocycleplane

I live for the CABE
Jan 6, 2010
NorCal, United States
Ugh, bummer. You're looking for a new one, no way to properly repair that. I love the look of these Torrington stems, but wouldn't trust them on an actual rider.

TR6SC

I live for the CABE
Jun 12, 2016
Eureka, CA
I recently bought this '36 Elgin Oriole to restore and the handlebars were already swinging loose. I thought they just needed tightening. When I was disassembling the bike last night, I discovered the stem is actually broken. Ugh. Thankfully and luckily, I also have the piece that's broken off. It came off with the screw as I removed it (Believe me, no forcing took place, the head was all WD40'd up and came right off).

View attachment 721428

View attachment 721434
Find the welder in Chicago and get a price. These cast parts can be difficult to weld due to impurities within the pores of the metal. Costwise, it might make sense to buy another. They come up for sale often in the $50 and up range.

Shawn Michael

Oct 3, 2012
Keizer, OR

View attachment 721428

View attachment 721434
I agree with the others. Dont repair it. They are good looking and fairly common. With some patience you will find a replacement, heck I might even have one in my stash.

fordmike65

Riding a '37 Colson Imperial
Mar 4, 2012
East Los
I have this stem on 3 of my riders and have yet to have an issue. I'm always careful, don't put much weight on the bars and never stand to pedal up hills. Just pump through it or get off and walk.

Duchess

Feb 14, 2014
Beverly, MA
Looks like cast metal, get a new stem. I'd suggest something that's not 80-year-old cast metal, but I'm not an originality guy.

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture