When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Elgin broken stem thoughts?

-

jchicago

Finally riding a big boys bike
I recently bought this '36 Elgin Oriole to restore and the handlebars were already swinging loose. I thought they just needed tightening. When I was disassembling the bike last night, I discovered the stem is actually broken. Ugh. Thankfully and luckily, I also have the piece that's broken off. It came off with the screw as I removed it (Believe me, no forcing took place, the head was all WD40'd up and came right off).

Looking for suggestions on the best way to remedy this?

Elgin Broken Stem.jpg

Elgin Broken Stem Piece.jpg

Ugh, bummer. You're looking for a new one, no way to properly repair that. I love the look of these Torrington stems, but wouldn't trust them on an actual rider.

I recently bought this '36 Elgin Oriole to restore and the handlebars were already swinging loose. I thought they just needed tightening. When I was disassembling the bike last night, I discovered the stem is actually broken. Ugh. Thankfully and luckily, I also have the piece that's broken off. It came off with the screw as I removed it (Believe me, no forcing took place, the head was all WD40'd up and came right off).

View attachment 721428

View attachment 721434
Find the welder in Chicago and get a price. These cast parts can be difficult to weld due to impurities within the pores of the metal. Costwise, it might make sense to buy another. They come up for sale often in the $50 and up range.

View attachment 721428

View attachment 721434
I agree with the others. Dont repair it. They are good looking and fairly common. With some patience you will find a replacement, heck I might even have one in my stash.

I have this stem on 3 of my riders and have yet to have an issue. I'm always careful, don't put much weight on the bars and never stand to pedal up hills. Just pump through it or get off and walk.

Looks like cast metal, get a new stem. I'd suggest something that's not 80-year-old cast metal, but I'm not an originality guy.

Back