When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Elgin Collegiate date?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Elevatorman139

Look Ma, No Hands!
I had it suggested to me that this was a 1928 Westfield built Elgin. Can anyone help me to confirm or deny the date?
bd3fc580f9962e504cb16ffee7cefe94.jpg
4e608d1be3080d6f9d9eebb98f29021f.jpg
443373058d83183517269a3e3923c4ea.jpg
f946a3e36e2c97b9ea4211e3faa9ba7f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thanks, Archie. So saying that it is a Westfield Collegiate is more accurate, with the Collegiate being the economy model?

Westfield-built "Sears Collegiate" - which may be good news - that you need not find a tank.

Maybe take a closer look at where the truss bar joins the seat tube; looks more like an Excelsior Michigan City, Indiana feature.
For Excelsior, I believe that Sears may have imposed a serial numbering sequence to match its other supplier, Westfield.
So, regardless of maker, I believe that "F" is for 1928, (in that era).

Excelsior-built Sears Collegiate?

Last edited:
Thank you again, sir. The eBay seller had it listed as an Elgin collegiate and said that it would have had a toolbox tank. I have found a couple of tanks on eBay since I had bought it, but none of them had the right shape on the narrow end.

With the taller Collegiate badge holes, maybe one of those reproduction "Excelsior" badges might fit - (maybe might not fit though).
So maybe there is an option to convert a Collegiate to an Excelsior, just for the cool factor.
There are also reproduction "Excelsior" decals for down tubes; some are even said to be Schwinn-Approved(?), but that is another story.

Last edited:
Back