When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Elgin finned hub question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jay81

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I have a question regarding an Elgin finned hub. I'm new at rebuilding hubs. I have this one apart to clean and lube. Obviously the bearings need new grease. But my question is, do I grease everything, or are some parts supposed to be oiled?
The reason I ask is I've seen discussions about other hubs that mention oiling some parts, but I could not find anything specific to this type of hub.
Thanks

Got the hub all cleaned, greased and reassembled. Thanks for the help guys!

I looked at the instructions, and I noticed it DIDN'T say there was any place that you SHOULDN'T put grease in the hub. I would think the Rubbing Surface areas of the brake should be avoided, but should I avoid that? Will it rust if I don't put any grease there? What do you think?

It'll never rust inside as long as you use it. Every time you brake it'll clean the surface.

Grease is always good on the shoes (unless it's a new departure with discs) of every coaster brake. It helps cool it down, less bare metal to metal contact, and less grabbing.

On bikes I ride a lot, I can tell when the hubs need rebuilding when it skids super easy. I mean, it should skid, but not with just a tiny bit of pressure.

Back