When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Elgin Help. ID

-

palepainter

Finally riding a big boys bike
I picked this up from a friend. OG paint. Looks like it had three thin pinstripe on the tubes. Pics tell the rest. Would like to know more about it if possible. Thanks for any help!

Ride on….

It will be cool to find out more about this unique frame's origin. Very interesting construction with hints of Murray & Westfield but sure it's something else. 🤔

Last edited:
I've not looked under my Westfield Elgin yet, but isn't that "MOD 502" stamp Murray made only for Sears models? The MOx-x serial format is consistent with Murray too. I think dad had one recently with similar slip joint seat tube, but I don't think it had the slip joint lug for the seat stays nor the stubby squared off drop outs that this one has.

One Quick easy way to tell the difference between Murray and Westfield built in these models of Elgin is the seat post tube length from top frame bars. Yours is Murray built!

Murray

Westfield

Murray built "straight bar"

While they're collar styles change a bit because of different years, the same usually holds true. Two of these are "bent tubes", but same applies for "straight tubes".

Last edited:
Back