When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Elgin, I think. Westfield-built?

-

Motobike1940

Look Ma, No Hands!
Bought this at a thrift shop. Someone made it into a sort of mountain bike. It has no head badge. The serial number is all I see. 26 inch wheels. Trying to pin down year, make and model. Thanks everyone.

20210220_124842.jpg

20210221_144745.jpg

20210221_144940.jpg

Thanks for your knowledge. I am still trying to figure out what belongs on it. Wheels, fenders and forks? Springs? I think the seat may be correct? The handle bars as well?

Sears Elgin retailer chain ring sprocket, and later (September?) 1934-M Westfield manufacturers serial number; 26” knobby tires are easily replaced.

Thanks for the information. What kind of wheels should be on it. Right now it has 26 inch stepdowns. They are painted black. Peaked or regular fenders? Are the forks and springer front end correct?

The fork assembly is a motorbike truss fork, and unlike a springer, is intended to restrict flexing or movement of front end parts; and it looks like a Westfield 26” truss fork.
I believe that an A&S company did not patent a bicycle springer fork until ~1939(?).
There was a recent thread about a 1935 Sears Elgin, with some catalog information and pictures.
I believe that the “rain gutter” style of fenders would be period correct.

Last edited:
Hi.

The serial number looks like M102844, A9. This would make it a September 1934 frame.

Best Regards,

Adrian

It came with a drop stand, but if I were you and you intend to ride it a lot, I would go for a kick stand. Bicycles on drop stands are subject to wind gusts. The bike blows over and the handlebar grip puts a big dent in your car door - first hand voice of experience speaking here.

Last edited:
Back