When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Elgin Motobike Model C rear hub Question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Mootree

Look Ma, No Hands!
Picked this late 20's early 30's Elgin up a few weeks ago, it arrived completely broken down as expected. I got it put back together recently and quickly realized I have an issue with the rear hub. It's a New Departure Model C that just won't move freely. Now, I am a newbie to these old bikes so bare with me. I pulled the axle out and the only problem I see is a tooth or two missing from a couple of the bronze plates. I don't have a grasp on how the hub all works but I would think it would still roll with this issue but then again, maybe not? There is plenty of grease in there, bearings look good. Maybe something really simple, maybe just lack of knowledge on my part regarding how this thing actually works but does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.
ba73c39f7f6028b8d2513392590e8792.jpg
692ddc24c6c56a4f3f3e539d4babaa43.jpg

51e997deb5aa41626bf36ed8862e5b40.jpg

Last edited:
Nevermind, turns out I'm a moron after all [emoji44]. Chain would turn and then would bind against the frame, didn't feel like that is what was happening. Put a washer between the frame and hub and it's now functioning. Tried to delete the post but couldn't figure that out either. Regardless, here is my Elgin, still have some cleaning to do on the wheels but I'm loving how this thing is coming together.

Last edited:
From the pics it looks like you're missing parts on the hub.
Really? Hmm, well that might be a problem too. Been a bit of an experiment since I'm no expert and I had it shipped in pieces. I'm typically fine if I'm the one that took it apart but getting a box of parts, that's a different story.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back