When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Elgin needs identifying

-

Beuffy

On Training Wheels
We have had this bike for quite some time but know very little about the year is was made and worth. Can you all help me please?
thanks a lot!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 80
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 93
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 68
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 65
Great. Thanks. Are you aware of particular name/model?
What is a ball park value?
thanks a lot!

Yours is a Murray built Elgin (vice the Westfield built Elgin).

Value is a tough one. As is, it could bring $300, maybe $500/$600 to the right buyer...but that's pushing it. It does appear to be complete, straight, and the paint and chrome looks average. I haven't seen many war-time Elgins, so it is slightly rare. I'd clean it up and throw on some fresh rubber and see what ya think!

Here's the catalog pages showing the "better" and "best" bikes:

20130815_001JPG-1.jpg

20130815_002JPG-1.jpg

Beuffy's bike is interesting as it has over-the-fork fenders with a fender-mount torpedo.
Also the paint on the fends doesn't look like any of the 1942 models I've seen. You can just barely see a representation of it in the drawing.
The "better" model was available in maroon and light brown.
This bike would have come with chainguard, enameled trussrods, and the very hard to find handlebar mount horn.
The rack was sold by Sears as an accessory for $1.19 :D
Is there a hole in the rear fender, just behind the seat?

Last edited:
Back