When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Elgin Robin Prototype crankshaft

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
(to paraphrase Dope54) They say it's worth what someone will pay for it. Well...

The burning question...If you had won it, would you ride it?

Thanks Poolboy1 for reporting that, I think more often than not eBay auctions are on the up and up and outstanding bikes bring outstanding prices. I doubt J.J. would find it worth his time to shill bid an item up.

My feelings go out to the number 2 bidder; that is a hard place to be. The fact is that all we now know is what the second place bidder valued the bike at this time around. The first place bidder may have won the bike by one bidding increment but he may well have gone to 50K to get it if that’s what it took.

Also thanks CR for your appraisal of the reality here. Your one line sums up most of the two pages I wrote on the subject last night that now can be put to rest.

The one thing I do want to add is that I consider Leon a friend and I have a great respect for his research and the knowledge he has and shares about this hobby. I sit with those that believe the bike is real and that belief is furthered for me by the bike's association with Leon. Leon is one of the last people I would consider likely to fake this bike because I believe that the actual history of the bike is the key to his world above and beyond the object itself. I just can't see him wasting his time to construct a fake.

Thanks Phil, I agree whole heartily!

hd3kmize beat me to the punch as far as shills go. The winner of the bike brought the bike up to reserve with 15 bids trying to find the reserve, met reserve, then the second bidder came in and punched it right at the end just to be 2nd place. Where's the shill'ers?

As far as being original or not, sure, tough...or maybe impossible to prove...or disprove...but..this is not the first time that any of these have come up for auction. The original paint version sold at Copake for over 20k, and the other restored bike is owned by a very knowledgeable collector in Michigan. These things have been eyeballed and critiqued for many years...but when they come up, they still bring the dough.

I just wish that the bike was coming to Texas. Maybe the next one!

(to paraphrase Dope54) They say it's worth what someone will pay for it. Well...

The burning question...If you had won it, would you ride it?

For those of you who were spared spending all your money on the Robin by the high final bid I just saw that the stuffed remains of Roy Roger’s horse, Trigger, are about to hit the auction block. This is another chance buy something that was originally meant to be ridden but probably won’t be again. The hammer price will probably make the Robin look cheap.

id never pay that much for a bike. i could buy a Buick GNX for that much :)

The Bombshell

I'd say that the next thing to go on the chopping block at West Coast Choppers is the bimbo all covered in tattoos. She's the one who started this fire sale.

The eBay fees on that wouldn't be bad actually. Under the current (new) fee structure, insane fee's on high ticket items is a thing of the past.. so, JJ made money on the sale! Now they just stick it to the little guy who sells average stuff for fees x2 instead.

One thing's for sure, if that bike was lacking provenance before, it is certainly not lacking it anymore. Leon Dixon / Jesse James and a record price tag of $30,000.00 plus.
Not bad for a bike that never even made it to the production line.

Back