When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Elgin seat tube trouble....

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Miguello

Look Ma, No Hands!
I have the original bent solid seat post. The clamp is touching and will not clamp well enough to keep it from moving. I don't want to destroy the original
clamp, which is built into the frame. What's the usual fix that keeps the original appearance? Will a shim hold enough pressure?

Miguello,
It sounds like a thin shim will work fine. I've never ran into that problem before on any of my Elgins, did the post get worn or did the clamp stretch?

seat post

I've run into several Elgins with a seat post shim. I've always assumed they were that way from the factory because they all looked the same and were made with a shoulder so they wouldn't disappear down inside the seat tube.

The soda can shim works well. You can use a can with a lip on the edge so your shim doesn't slip into the seat tube.

That works for me! Thanks guys. I have done them from plain sheet steel, but it's hard to get the diameter that small. The aluminum would probably do the trick.

Back