When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Elgin Sewing Machine And Bicycle Company

-
MY GOD!!! Please...if that is indeed original paint & plating, PLEASE do not strip & "restore" this bike. It deserves to be preserved as much as possible. Put your feelers out and take your time finding the correct parts...or some close period pieces. I have never seen one of these, & I'm pretty sure most Cabe members are with me on that. WOW!!! I am in awe.... :eek:

MY GOD!!! Please...if that is indeed original paint & plating, PLEASE do not strip & "restore" this bike. It deserves to be preserved as much as possible. Put your feelers out and take your time finding the correct parts...or some close period pieces. I have never seen one of these, & I'm pretty sure most Cabe members are with me on that. WOW!!! I am in awe.... :eek:

View attachment 1288514
Like many things happen, it was just a combination of being in the right place at the right time. The others interested in it were too busy looking to find non-existent info on their Ebay phones. In the meantime I purchased it and locked it in my car and left. Ebay provides a lot of help for what to buy or not buy, but I don't have a smart phone, so I make my own decisions about things. I've made mistakes and wasted money but to me that is how I learn, NOT with Ebay. Besides without a smartphone I figured I couldn't lose, I was sure the head badge had to be worth at least what I paid!

Last edited:
Everything nicely fluted: "Corrugated" frame tubes and big ones at that! This may be a sort-of-clean-it (but not much)bike as there cannot be many. Even has an early 3-piece crank on it! Wheels, seat and grips aren't too much to ask for. Looks like no fenders needed either.

Last edited:
Everything nicely fluted("corregated") frame tubes and big ones at that! This may be a sort-of-clean-it but not much bike as there cannot be many. Even has an early 3-piece crank on it! Wheels, seat and grips aren't too much to ask for. Looks like no fenders needed either.
Fortunately the ad pictures do not show fenders or a chain guard on the men's Gunning. Found a serial # of 5526 on frame.

Thats is one of the most interesting TOC bikes I've seen here in my brief years as a bike cultist. I'll bet the Smithsonian warehouses don't have one of them, or the Henry Ford Museum, or any other major transportation museum. Anyone aware of another with that fluted frame? o_O It's the bike find of the month at least! WE are not worthy...

Back