When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Elgin Twin Bar Novice Needs Help!?!

-

hcdsign

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello, I am hoping that some of you twin bar gurus can help a guy out. I purchased this basket case of a twin bar this week, from the pictures the frame looked great, and no cracks or goober welding by the bottom bracket. However, now that I have it, I did notice that the rear section of the frame did not seem to flare out in proportion to each other. The crank side that goes back to the drop out flares out more drastically than the other side. When you put a wheel in the rear drop out, and bottom it out in the slots, it appears to run true in the frame, not to mention that the wheel fits like a dream in the drop outs, they are nice and parallel. The frame is crusty, but I do not see any collateral damage or dents that would sway the rear end like this, and the seat bracket mounts up with out having to pull the bars in or out. Is this normal? or is the frame tweaked? I took it to a guy that works on 1900's motorcycles, and he thought that the larger flare out on the crank side may have to do with the chain clearance, but was not sure.

On another note is it possible to tell what model this is, and who made this twin bar? Murray? Also, I am not sure where to look for the serial number on this thing as well.

I know this isn't the nicest project to start with, but its the closest I can start with on my budget. I at this current time I plan to build it as a crusty correct looking bike with time period correct Elgin pcs (just not the mucho $$ original equipment) If I can happen upon correct parts for the right price I will buy them, just not sticking $1k into this bike. I already have donated a finned hub wheel set w/ allstate tires, and a Troxel seat to the project. I have more Elgin parts to add, but want to get this frame question out of the way first.

Please reply with any comments that may be useful.

Thank you for your time, Howie.

IMG_0319.jpg
IMG_0320.jpg
IMG_0321.jpg
IMG_0322.jpg
IMG_0323.jpg
IMG_0324.jpg
IMG_0325.jpg
IMG_0326.jpg

Looks bent to me... but it also looks repairable... and also looks like it will function fine without repair if you like.

Twin Bar Update

There was some progress made on the Twin, in the last year or so. I was able to find most of the correct missing parts. Which sounds easier than what it was, as I a do not pay top dollar for parts. If I have to sit on it for a year or two, I will, I scored the rusty but solid fenders from a friend. The crank pod was from ebay, that ended at an od time. The shroud was also from ebay, but in tough shape. And the rack & a rough Twin40 shroud came from a fellow caber

With a little TLC all the components cleaned up nicely. Now for some nicer bars & grips, I think she will be done!

Thank you for any input good or bad!

(I still have the rough Twin40 shroud that I used as a place taker, if anybody is interested)

IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_0007.jpg

Hello Howie ,Your Twin is looking good! You have come a long way on your build! I am interested in your extra shroud.If you will PM me I would appreciate it! Thanks Mike from Mikes bikes

Here is my old shroud. Shes beat, dented, cracked glued, & sandblasted. It worked when the frame was almost bare & full of wrong parts, but it was time to upgrade. If someone needs this for their rat rod, or for parts, let me know. Thanks, Howie
IMG_0012.jpg
IMG_0013.jpg
IMG_0014.jpg

Back