When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Elgin Twin

-
Shroud looks great. Small dents and small gaps are the norm. Remember these weren't hand built Ferrari's. That's what give's character and originality to these old bikes.

I just found this thread thanks to your updates. I'd thought it was new, and was going to suggest making sure you get a Murray Head Shroud for a Murray built and a Westfield for a Westfield built. They just dont sit right on each others frames quite right without some serious patience. I got lucky with my Murray, both in the Fantastic deal I got on it and all the help from my friends here and facebook to put it together on a budget.
I basically went at it like you did, however all that was missing was the febders, Head Shroud, grips and pedals I think? I got a pretty Screamin deal on the rest being bone stock and with the deluxe head and crank sets with the full deluxe chain ring.
A very good friend here sent me the illusive original skinny guard for mine for no charge, happy to see it home on a bike it was intended.

I've never seen anyone else try using truss rods on one of their build ups but Ive always liked a full dresser and wanted to add one little twist to mine.

Happy Building mate. It's good to see you like it so much. I adored my Twin 20, but it's in good L9cal hands.

ErinView attachment 1255370
How do you know if it is a Murry or Westfield shroud ? Never heard that one before.

They all have plates under the crank. The late run Murry's have it extended a bit to the front like #5 and #6. Number #1 and #2 are Westfield and you can spot the frame differences, especially at the steering head.

Shroud looks great. Small dents and small gaps are the norm. Remember these weren't hand built Ferrari's. That's what give's character and originality to these old bikes.
Small dents and small gaps were the essence of hand built Ferraris. Most people don't realize how crude they are under the sexy shapes!

I dig the color! White stripe on fender and crank shroud , and paint in the Elgin logo on head shroud. Done deal. Killer bike.

Well, I got the replacement fork and the streamline pedals today. I even got lucky with the fork. No need to have it cut down and it came with the little fender mount piece. Yay. Will be stripping paint tomorrow.

Well, finally started stripping paint on the frame. Started painting the fork, but fudged it. Restripping it tomorrow and finishing the frame. Will reassemble and post pictures afterwards. Bare naked lady, YAY.

Well, changed my mind about the matte green. Will be stripping the fork and head shroud tomorrow. I'm just going to leave it bare. Maybe try that boiled linseed oil. Will post pictures of it tomorrow after I'm done.

Back