When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Elgin Twin

-
I just found this thread thanks to your updates. I'd thought it was new, and was going to suggest making sure you get a Murray Head Shroud for a Murray built and a Westfield for a Westfield built. They just dont sit right on each others frames quite right without some serious patience. I got lucky with my Murray, both in the Fantastic deal I got on it and all the help from my friends here and facebook to put it together on a budget.
I basically went at it like you did, however all that was missing was the febders, Head Shroud, grips and pedals I think? I got a pretty Screamin deal on the rest being bone stock and with the deluxe head and crank sets with the full deluxe chain ring.
A very good friend here sent me the illusive original skinny guard for mine for no charge, happy to see it home on a bike it was intended.

I've never seen anyone else try using truss rods on one of their build ups but Ive always liked a full dresser and wanted to add one little twist to mine.

Happy Building mate. It's good to see you like it so much. I adored my Twin 20, but it's in good L9cal hands.

Erin

I think I got lucky with the head shroud. The fitment issues I'm having are just a few little gaps I don't like. Does your bike have the reinforcement plate on the underside of the crank housing?

I think I got lucky with the head shroud. The fitment issues I'm having are just a few little gaps I don't like. Does your bike have the reinforcement plate on the underside of the crank housing?
The shrouds always have uneven gaps. Can't do a lot with pot metal. It bothered me so I lightly filed the tight spots. On and off and on and off until no direct contact points if possible.
Protects from metal fatigue and prevents paint pinching. It can only get better. Those bars look great. Glad they found a good home! Black is the color for custom twin bars!

Honestly, I cannot recall. I may have a picture of it flipped over somewhere.
I'll look about. As far as the Shroud, that's super news. I never had any gaps at all with mine, went on like a custom fit glove with no space.

What do you reckon about the reinforcement plate?

It's on the underside of the crank housing. I can't remember which company did that. There were problems with that area cracking so they added the reinforcement plate.

It’s very nice to see your project coming together. The Twin is a cool looking bike and I’m looking forward to seeing your continued progress!

Last edited:
Well, I finally picked a color. Different than every other elgin twin I've ever seen. Lots of people do them in black, I've had so many black bicycles that I couldn't bring myself to paint it black. The bike was maroon when I bought it. Didn't want it to look the same as it did. Blue just didn't seem right either. So I took a page from my years as a soldier and am painting it matte Spanish moss green. And it's probably getting cream pinstripes. Is it going to be perfect, not remotely. But it will be ridden.

15985731516752277644289973094443.jpg

Back