When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Elgin Year

-

TheFizzer

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Any idea on year?

7C57870B-70F9-4E7B-8F46-43877C3D2919.jpeg

In my book Collectible Elgin - JC Higgins and Hawthorne bicycles, I found an illustration of the bike you pictured. on page 55. Described as "Boys and Girls Low Priced Equipped Elgin Bikes" Same, chain guard, truss rods, light, rack, and skirt protectors. The one pictured has the Steward Warner 'Floating front hub' but in the description it's shown without that hub for $23.95 rather than $25.95. I have a new computer and it's not compatible with my scanner or I'd be posting a picture. Sorry. Anyway, the info you're probably looking for is that the illustration is shown in the S/S (spring/summer) 1941 Sears catalog.

Tried something different. Took a couple of pictures with my Android tablet. See if this illustration doesn't look like your bike.
20190903_103636.jpg

20190903_103642.jpg

20190903_103729.jpg

There are some things in the description for you to look for. The air cooled rear hub and the Troxel saddle. I think that the Alemite lubrication has to do with you being able to purchase a 'grease gun' that would fit the zerk on the rear hub. Hope this helps. Similar bikes in preceding and following years have subtle differences.

Can you post a close up picture of that head badge? Looks different than a typical Elgin headbadge from the angle of your picture.

Back