When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

elusive S-4 Baloon tire

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
There was an S-4 for a short period in the 50s. It came on the welterweight and tandems (which is why the heavy duty spokes).

Either way the seller doesn't care because I messaged them and said that's not a "baloon" tire, it's specific to two models. No update to the listing.

Attached: "Rims: Schwinn built, tubular, chrome plated, S-4"
IMG_4070.jpg

I thought they changed out at some point in the 50s. I looked at the '61 catalog and it still says S-4 for the tandem/T&C. I thought you would see more S-4 rims turn up, but I guess the tandems were still pretty low numbers in production compared to all others.

I messaged this guy to explain never was a S-4 and that he has a S-7 and he is looking at the 7 upside sown and the S is the start of the next Schwinn marking. Either doesn't know or doesn't care. Don't miss out on this one of a kind baloon tire hahahaha

looks like straight-gauge spokes and a 1950s new departure hub, the ad @rennfaron posted specs morrow, but nd was likely available as well

I thought they changed out at some point in the 50s. I looked at the '61 catalog and it still says S-4 for the tandem/T&C. I thought you would see more S-4 rims turn up, but I guess the tandems were still pretty low numbers in production compared to all others.

The S-4 is on the 1948 Tandem specs and that was probably the first year for that rim. The highest T&C serial number that I've come across was a high 5K number. They used the tandems pre-stamped BB shells on many of the early post war lightweights so the actual number produced was nowhere near 5000.

There was an S-4 for a short period in the 50s. It came on the welterweight and tandems (which is why the heavy duty spokes).

Either way the seller doesn't care because I messaged them and said that's not a "baloon" tire, it's specific to two models. No update to the listing.

Attached: "Rims: Schwinn built, tubular, chrome plated, S-4"
View attachment 1668915
I did not know that, I'm learning. Did the S-4 have knurling like that? What is the difference between S-4 and S-7? Did the S-4 use a standard tire or Schwinn specific?

The S-4 is on the 1948 Tandem specs and that was probably the first year for that rim. The highest T&C serial number that I've come across was a high 5K number. They used the tandems pre-stamped BB shells on many of the early post war lightweights so the actual number produced was nowhere near 5000.

what hub was typically on the tandems?

I did not know that, I'm learning. Did the S-4 have knurling like that? What is the difference between S-4 and S-7? Did the S-4 use a standard tire or Schwinn specific?
Yep they had knurling like shown in that ebay link you posted. There are some early 50s S-6 rims that have that same knurling pattern.

No idea on difference because I don't collect any bikes with S-7s. @GTs58 I am sure knows.

At the time these are the tires you got on them. Hard to find.

Back