When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

elusive S-4 Baloon tire

-
There was an S-4 for a short period in the 50s. It came on the welterweight and tandems (which is why the heavy duty spokes).

Either way the seller doesn't care because I messaged them and said that's not a "baloon" tire, it's specific to two models. No update to the listing.

Attached: "Rims: Schwinn built, tubular, chrome plated, S-4"
IMG_4070.jpg

I thought they changed out at some point in the 50s. I looked at the '61 catalog and it still says S-4 for the tandem/T&C. I thought you would see more S-4 rims turn up, but I guess the tandems were still pretty low numbers in production compared to all others.

I messaged this guy to explain never was a S-4 and that he has a S-7 and he is looking at the 7 upside sown and the S is the start of the next Schwinn marking. Either doesn't know or doesn't care. Don't miss out on this one of a kind baloon tire hahahaha

looks like straight-gauge spokes and a 1950s new departure hub, the ad @rennfaron posted specs morrow, but nd was likely available as well

I thought they changed out at some point in the 50s. I looked at the '61 catalog and it still says S-4 for the tandem/T&C. I thought you would see more S-4 rims turn up, but I guess the tandems were still pretty low numbers in production compared to all others.

The S-4 is on the 1948 Tandem specs and that was probably the first year for that rim. The highest T&C serial number that I've come across was a high 5K number. They used the tandems pre-stamped BB shells on many of the early post war lightweights so the actual number produced was nowhere near 5000.

There was an S-4 for a short period in the 50s. It came on the welterweight and tandems (which is why the heavy duty spokes).

Either way the seller doesn't care because I messaged them and said that's not a "baloon" tire, it's specific to two models. No update to the listing.

Attached: "Rims: Schwinn built, tubular, chrome plated, S-4"
View attachment 1668915
I did not know that, I'm learning. Did the S-4 have knurling like that? What is the difference between S-4 and S-7? Did the S-4 use a standard tire or Schwinn specific?

The S-4 is on the 1948 Tandem specs and that was probably the first year for that rim. The highest T&C serial number that I've come across was a high 5K number. They used the tandems pre-stamped BB shells on many of the early post war lightweights so the actual number produced was nowhere near 5000.

what hub was typically on the tandems?

I did not know that, I'm learning. Did the S-4 have knurling like that? What is the difference between S-4 and S-7? Did the S-4 use a standard tire or Schwinn specific?
Yep they had knurling like shown in that ebay link you posted. There are some early 50s S-6 rims that have that same knurling pattern.

No idea on difference because I don't collect any bikes with S-7s. @GTs58 I am sure knows.

At the time these are the tires you got on them. Hard to find.

Back