When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Emblem/Pierce Motobike unknown year..

-

SKPC

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
As found..thanks Jose!
C20E18D3-18E4-4AB8-9A78-FA2026AA1606[1].jpeg

I am still trying to ID who made this, but so far, it seems Emblem with Pierce characteristics of possibly leftover bankruptcy parts.
Any and all comments are welcome. I have no plans for it, I just want to document what I find that remains and keep it together, maybe add an era correct stem and bars and look for a wheelset. . A few broken parts need to be replaced if possible. I am attempting to find what the original color paint was that came on it, and am struggling with it.
A few observations first. It is a 28" wheeled bike, and I believe the post, crankset, fork, headset and fenders are original. Seat post is a massive 7/8" or 15/16th in diameter, but I have to micrometer it to be sure, as it seems in between those two measurements.
IMG_1958.JPG

IMG_1963.JPG

IMG_1954.JPG

IMG_1956.JPG

IMG_1880.JPG

IMG_1875.JPG

IMG_1900.JPG

Indented/chamfered seat and chainstays on the inboard...
IMG_1968.JPG

And some parts...the chain adjuster screws were in nice shape, and also may be original..
IMG_1966.JPG

IMG_1908.JPG
I'll be looking for an Emblem diamond crank(2" crank center to drive pin) and a lower headset cup, which may take some time....alot of time. Look in your boxes everyone. Paint is pretty gone & I am not sure if I am seeing fact. primer under the blue and/or tan paint that is under the red..pjm

IMG_1965.JPG

IMG_1903.JPG

Last edited:
Emblem Mfg. Co. continued to sell Pierce bicycles under a badge that read something like "The Pierce Cycle Co. Makers, Angola, N.Y. U.S.A." - sort of like an additional product line. Like D.P. Harris Rollfast and DPH Peerless or Athlete. The Emblem-Pierce bicycles may have had different and similar features (e.g., chain ring, badge) as the Emblem, Erie, Greyhound, Speedwell, (others?). For example the Emblem model 114 motorbike might appear to be almost identical to the Pierce Double Bar Rough Rider, and on adjacent catalog pages.

There may be an Emblem serial number thread that had estimated 400K serial numbers about the 1930's.
The Pierce serial number thread might exclude Emblems without a Pierce badge, (w/ limited scope, already 12-pages).
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/emblem-manufacturing-info.125531/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/pierce-bicycle-serial-numbers.71746/
The Pierce serial number thread puts the Buffalo frames in the 200K range.
[I am not sure of a Westfield-connection].

Last edited:
Yes, those were good reads I had searched earlier. Emblem made bikes and motorcycles since the late 1800's, and took over Pierce when Pierce got into the motorcycle business. It stretched them thin and they could not keep up with bicycle orders...cash short so to speak. Emblem then scooped em up.
This frame/fork has a few Pierce characteristics seemingly continued into the late 20's & early 30's: the slotted/squared chain adjusters and Pierce-style rear frame dropouts are two along with the curved truss rods, Headset and Sprocket. Thick gage ring with interesting detail on the tooth peaks(groove). .
IMG_1989.JPG

IMG_1993.JPG

IMG_1959.JPG

Last edited:
Back