When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

End Of An Era: My 1971 Schwinn Deluxe Racer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Eddie Miller

Look Ma, No Hands!
This is my project bike, a sky blue 1971 Schwinn Deluxe Racer. I bought it for $20 from my friend Gary. Originally, we thought it was a 1962, but today I entered its serial # into a website and it was actually built in May of 1971. However, this might be good news since that model was discontinued in 1971. Who knows, I could have one of the last ones to roll off the assembly line. It needs a nut on the back wheel, 2 new spokes, one on each wheel (which I now have and just need to install), and a rear brake line (plus the front sheath and adapter). Dad and I are looking for the brake line stuff on eBay. Gary also did a little bit of cleaning on the chrome, and I've made a lot more progress on that aspect myself. All in all, a good old bike. What do you think? :)
Gary 1.jpg
Gary 2.jpg
Gary 3.jpg
Gary 4.jpg
Gary 5.jpg

This is my project bike, a sky blue 1971 Schwinn Deluxe Racer. I bought it for $20 from my friend Gary. Originally, we thought it was a 1962, but today I entered its serial # into a website and it was actually built in May of 1971. However, this might be good news since that model was discontinued in 1971. Who knows, I could have one of the last ones to roll off the assembly line. It needs a nut on the back wheel, 2 new spokes, one on each wheel (which I now have and just need to install), and a rear brake line (plus the front sheath and adapter). Dad and I are looking for the brake line stuff on eBay. Gary also did a little bit of cleaning on the chrome, and I've made a lot more progress on that aspect myself. All in all, a good old bike. What do you think? :)View attachment 809300 View attachment 809301 View attachment 809302 View attachment 809303 View attachment 809304

Welcome to the forum.

Fixup should be easy. I have 3 Speedsters/Racers (same bikes, badge engineering) and ride them a lot.

FYI, your terminology is a bit off.....brake cables, not brake lines. Cable housing not sheath.:cool:

I like the old three speeds, once they're adjusted right, changing gear is a snap. The only down side is that they tend to be geared high, but you can easily replace the 18 tooth rear cog with a larger one off of EBay (most people like 20 or 22 teeth, depending on how hilly it is in your area). With a larger rear cog, you'll probably also need to add a couple of links to the chain. That bike looks to be in good shape, nice find!

Where is the serial number located?

The reason I ask is that the chainwheel and guard aren't from a '71, and no Deluxe Racers were available in '71 (according to the brochure). The serial number should be up by the headbadge, and '71s had mag sprockets and plain block lettering for "Racer" on the chainguard.

@Eddie Miller Nice bike! A fellow Michigander. A good find for $20. I have a 68 that I found last year for $20 too. Mine was really dirty with light rust. The rear wheel was really bent, I relaced in a better rim. Bike cleaned up really well. Found some nice whitewalls.
I like the 23" frame and it makes a very comfortable rider.

Before
IMG_20170812_194652.jpg

After
IMG_20170924_194641.jpg

Thanks. You have a nice bike, too. So what do you think. The chain guard, chain gear, and Schwinn decal on the frame signify it being an older bike. But the serial # identifies it as being built in May of 1971, and they only started putting the serial # the head tube in 1970.

Since the serial number is on the head tube, it's a post 70 bike. The serial number very well could be from May 71. But remember that is when the number was stamped. The bike would have been assembled at a later date. How soon after depends on many variables. But your bike would be a 71.

Have you checked the Sturmey Archer rear hub for a date. They were stamped with the month and year and can sometimes help with the assembly date. My bike has a later 67 serial number but the hub is from early 68.

Back