When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

End Of An Era: My 1971 Schwinn Deluxe Racer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
EG068962. That would put it in May of 1971. But the back rim is from 1969, and the clover sprocket has to be from 1968. Either the previous owner replaced some parts and hoped no one would notice, or the Chicago plant needed to use up unused parts so my bike was cobbled together with extra 1968 or 1969 parts.

Looks like the serial number was stamped in May of 71. It's not that unusual for a bike to have replacement parts from a previous owner, things break and wear out, if used. Personally, I'd rather have the old clover ring verses the mag. The mag looks fine on a Sting Ray but not so cool on a lightweight. Even though it was said there were no Deluxe Racers in the 71 catalogs, they sure could have been available but just not pictured in a catalog. Just did quick check on the catalog for 71. Racer coaster and three speed models only in various sizes. I assume both had chrome fenders so the Deluxe name was dropped. Your chain guard may have been from an earlier Racer.

Last edited:
So we have 3 possible scenarios

1. A person who owned it before Gary (the guy I bought it from) fixed it using parts from an older sky blue Schwinn. [[Most likely scenario]]
2. The factory had extra '68-'69 parts they needed to get rid of, so they cobbled my bike together with them.
or
3. There was such a thing as a 1971 Schwinn Deluxe Racer.

I vote for scenario #1. If you want to go further, see if the crank was changed out along with the chain ring. There should be a cast in date on the crank.

The handlebars also should have a date stamp. My Deluxe Racer has an October 1967 serial number but the SA hub has a 1-68 stamp. The crank and the handlebars also have a 1968 stamp.

6-18-11 001.jpg

This is my '71 Racer, just for the sake of comparison.

Back