When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

End Of An Era: My 1971 Schwinn Deluxe Racer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I vote for scenario #1. If you want to go further, see if the crank was changed out along with the chain ring. There should be a cast in date on the crank.
I talked to a guy at a bike shop in Kalamazoo, and he said it wasn't unusual for Schwinn to use up leftover parts on new bikes. So maybe those were original from the factory, they just needed to liquidate old, unused parts. I guess I can just call it a custom '71 Schwinn Racer.

I have a 1960 Racer in a small frame. another $20.00 special. mine had rusty wheels from some other bike and no fenders so I put some shiny Schwinn S-7's on it. Schwinn should have built one like this. I like the fatter tires and small frame. these are fun bikes, i'd like to get a nice original some day.

sIMG_5860 small.JPG

Not to beat a dead horse, but I've done some thinking, and maybe my "liquidiated parts" theory isn't as far-fetched as we thought. 1971 was the last year the Racer was built, so maybe they had some parts to get rid of now that they were phasing out that model. I wish I could find the doctor that owned it before me.

Well.............................Since the clover chain ring wasn't used after the 1968 model year, and that ring was used on 90% of the bikes produced, I highly doubt they had old left over clover rings all the way into 1971. Schwinn also produced those, so I doubt they over produced the clover knowing in advance that ring was no longer going to be used on the 1969 models. You have a nice looking Racer, and to be honest that ring looks better than the one that should be on it. The paint on the guard appears to match the bike perfectly and the screening of the model name being from an earlier model wouldn't bother me in the least. Ride and enjoy!

You know, you're right. I've come to look at it this way. Since the guy couldn't buy a Deluxe Racer, he bought a normal Racer and made it into one.

I don't get mountain bikes. These are so much easier to ride and I can keep up with the plastic bikes used by my riding club. Biking went backwards?

I did not see where anyone mentioned the Schwinn frame decal being wrong, but it is correct. The pedals would be wrong for a 71, which leads me to another scenario that seems more probable than anything mentioned. Schwinn bikes were covered by a lifetime warranty, so perhaps the original owner had the frame replaced under warranty.

I like the old three speeds, once they're adjusted right, changing gear is a snap. The only down side is that they tend to be geared high, but you can easily replace the 18 tooth rear cog with a larger one off of EBay (most people like 20 or 22 teeth, depending on how hilly it is in your area). With a larger rear cog, you'll probably also need to add a couple of links to the chain. That bike looks to be in good shape, nice find!
I installed a 20T on my wifes Metrocycle.Big difference for her

I did not see where anyone mentioned the Schwinn frame decal being wrong, but it is correct. The pedals would be wrong for a 71, which leads me to another scenario that seems more probable than anything mentioned. Schwinn bikes were covered by a lifetime warranty, so perhaps the original owner had the frame replaced under warranty.
This bike also has “eye poker” levers. I thought they would have been gone by ‘71.

Back