When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engagement present

-
The secret to getting a feel for the tandem is to each ride and get used to it, without a rear stoker, then learn tapping signals for operations. The stoker position rear handlebars mirror or helmet mirror is a must.
Giovanni

There's also some fascinating studies about how tandem cycling is beneficial for patients suffering from Parkinson's disease. Apparently the "forced exercise" aspect of acting as a stoker who keeps up a pace with the Captain makes the brain manage it's dopamine levels better than exercise at a voluntary pace does. The effect was discovered when a doctor went on a cross country ride with a Parkinson's patient and each night her postcards home showed more and more legible handwriting. After this observation, studies were made that proved the effect often improves people 30-40% if they keep it up on a regular basis. Patients report feeling tired from the forced exercise but much better feeling and performing both mentally and physically.

Last edited:
I have THREE of these old Schwinn Twinns! My adult daughters & their hubbies think they're a blast riding them around the Lake Erie area.

Hahahaha!
I had to call suicide prevention hotline, when I first joined the online forum!
Trust me; I have Never called them but it's a Good thing they're there. We either need people who accept us as we are & care now days or at least have some compassion. Partly why I like this hobby too; not everyone agrees or likes the same things etc but you have some great people here that may not actually know you but genuinely care & then you have the uptight holier than thou types :rolleyes: . I'm jus' a Joker & pot stirrer :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

We LOVE our Schwinn Twinns. When I say we, I mean me, my adult daughters & sons in law. My hubby won't have anything to do with them (bah humbug).
[Humor] Apparently, your hubby is smart and knows the tricks well enough that, he loves you too much to mess with a good thing. Which begs the question: What U got against your sons in-law? :D

Back