When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

English western flyer?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Leoncito

Finally riding a big boys bike
Just bought this bike because I found the frame to look interesting(I've always liked the twin top tube bikes)this one was missing the headbadge but it has a western flyer decal on the seat tube. Parts look to be Raleigh, (bars,stem,bottom bracket etc.)Did some looking on line but found nothing other than a couple of photos and no info.Does anyone have any info on these bikes,I would greatly appreciate the help,thanks in advance!

20171217_130527.jpg

20171217_130535.jpg

Looks up Norman Western Flyer. Haven't seen one like yours though.

one thing right off, the chain length doesn't match.
I would guess someone else found the frame bare and moved the parts over.

My first thought was Hercules. Both Hercules and Norman were owned by the British Cycle Corporation, which provided bikes for a lot of American Companies during the '50's, and then got conglomerated with Raleigh around 1960.

Wheels are stamped BCC and are coaster brake not three speed,so I'm thinking parts are original to the bike.I found some similar looking frame bikes under Hercules,just wondering why there's not much info around knowing that they were intended for the American market.

Wheels are stamped BCC and are coaster brake not three speed,so I'm thinking parts are original to the bike.I found some similar looking frame bikes under Hercules,just wondering why there's not much info around knowing that they were intended for the American market.
Schwinn and Raleigh were probably the two biggest companies and are the best documented. Some of the smaller companies didn't put nearly as much into marketing (advertisements, catalogs etc.) and there's fewer bikes (and interested owners) now. That's not to say that the information isn't out there, but it takes more digging. Also, check the Bike Forums Classic and Vintage section. A lot of Cabe members are more interested in balloon tire bikes, there seems to be more interest in English lightweights on the B.F.

Schwinn and Raleigh were probably the two biggest companies and are the best documented. Some of the smaller companies didn't put nearly as much into marketing (advertisements, catalogs etc.) and there's fewer bikes (and interested owners) now. That's not to say that the information isn't out there, but it takes more digging. Also, check the Bike Forums Classic and Vintage section. A lot of Cabe members are more interested in balloon tire bikes, there seems to be more interest in English lightweights on the B.F.
Drive side pic?

Back