When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Estate Sales

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I guess it all depends on the bike and how many people are interested in said bike. An auction style sale will probably net you more money.

If it's a top shelf bike, often times several bidders are pounding their chests to beat the other guy out and take home the prize regardless of cost. It happens in the classic car world all the time.

Conversely, if people are not aware of the bike and sale, you can probably lose your ass if no reserve is set. In other words, all the stars have to align.

Last edited:
I feel in an estate sale and the "pros" running the Professional Estate Sale also get inquiries from people out of their area. Those people may offer more money and not be at the sale. Then back out, there is really no way to make them stick to the deal. Also will the "pros" running the sale disassemble and properly pack the bike to ship. That is part of the-- can you get more money at a pro sale? I am cynical as I have said I hate Professional Estate Sales. Usually ends up as greed and the bike or whatever the "high dollar" item sits after the estate sale is over. My cynical opinion.

I feel in an estate sale and the "pros" running the Professional Estate Sale also get inquiries from people out of their area. Those people may offer more money and not be at the sale. Then back out, there is really no way to make them stick to the deal. Also will the "pros" running the sale disassemble and properly pack the bike to ship. That is part of the-- can you get more money at a pro sale? I am cynical as I have said I hate Professional Estate Sales. Usually ends up as greed and the bike or whatever the "high dollar" item sits after the estate sale is over. My cynical opinion.

Agreed

You mentioned "staged" at a sale. That is exactly what happens. A local estate company is famous for putting items out at sales that were not part of the estate. Think it's called "peppering" as well. When the sale opens everyone runs to find the item pictured in the ad and buy it regardless of marked price. Saw it happen with a not very old Schwinn clock once that sold for double value. To me it's laughable when you go and see mostly modern items at an estate and there sitting like a white elephant is a out of place high dollar vintage item. Buyer beware, just like an auction.

You mentioned "staged" at a sale. That is exactly what happens. A local estate company is famous for putting items out at sales that were not part of the estate. Think it's called "peppering" as well. When the sale opens everyone runs to find the item pictured in the ad and buy it regardless of marked price. Saw it happen with a not very old Schwinn clock once that sold for double value. To me it's laughable when you go and see mostly modern items at an estate and there sitting like a white elephant is a out of place high dollar vintage item. Buyer beware, just like an auction.

Many auction houses do the "peppering" method. They bring in things from other antique dealers to sweeten the auction. You may have an estate auction that was nothing but just stuff. They have to bring things in from others to bait the bidders and make it an auction.

Back