When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

evans bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
J

jakepatches

bike 001.jpg
Hi everyone, I just bought an evans 400 viscount(Lady Evans). It was a barn find. It is in decent shape but does need some help. I would like to know alittle more about it before I decide to restore it or maybe just leave it like it is. I would like to fix it up so it can be ridden. It has a funny headlight on it and I have never saw one like it. My problem is I can't find anything about it on the internet. I have found a 700 viscount and an 800 viscount but they look nothing like this one. If anyone could help me on determining the year it was made or the value of it I would greatly appriciate it. I have called quite a few bicycle shops but nobody can give me any information on it. I am new to this site so I'm not sure how to post pics but I can send them through email.My email is [email protected] If anyone can help me out! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum! Evans Co. bought Colson's Wheel Goods Division in the early 50s. The Colson Co had been around since 1917, and continued to manufacture wheelchairs and appliance dollies through the 1980s. After Evans used up the old Colson stock, they brought out their own line, designed by GM designer Harley Earl. They had unusual features like square edged fenders, long pointy chainguards, and swoopy rear racks. Also the very funky Evanaction springer fork! They only built them until 1962, then disappeared for the most part. I have a few in my collection, including this one that sounds similar to yours.
collection3004-1.jpg

Thanks, I have posted a pic. This bike has a double sissy bar and the light is a bit differant. Do you have any idea what year it might be from? It does have square fenders and the seat is original. Thanks again for the info!

I do have a 1960 brochure, and yours looks almost exactly like the V-400 in there, it had a black & white striped seat. I wish my scanner still worked, I'd post the pics!

bike 001.jpg
Thanks Adam, I believe I'll start taking it apart and try to get it so it can
be ridden. I just finished a western flyer which was in very poor shape, but I think it turned out pretty good for my first restoration. I think it is from about the same time.

View attachment 12026Thanks Adam, I believe I'll start taking it apart and try to get it so it can
be ridden. I just finished a western flyer which was in very poor shape, but I think it turned out pretty good for my first restoration. I think it is from about the same time.

Actually that's a 70s bike, it has the reflector mount behind the seat. It's Murray made, but has an AMF chainring on it. Great job on fixing it up though! I have a similar one I'm bringing back to life, I believe it's an 81.
CRIM0011-1.jpg

lady evans

hi i have a bike which is identical to yours in less than perfect condition. I found it at a garage sale and needed more information as do you. I have come to the conclusion that these bikes are rare since most people took the rack off and threw it away and were only made for 2 to 3 years. I suggest you restore it because they ride smoothly and get lots of complements in the park or bike trail. I hope i could help you if you choose to restore it mine has all the original parts and paint.

Attachments

• juli 437.JPG
    juli 437.JPG
    305.6 KB · Views: 1,538
hi i have a bike which is identical to yours in less than perfect condition. I found it at a garage sale and needed more information as do you. I have come to the conclusion that these bikes are rare since most people took the rack off and threw it away and were only made for 2 to 3 years. I suggest you restore it because they ride smoothly and get lots of complements in the park or bike trail. I hope i could help you if you choose to restore it mine has all the original parts and paint.

Welcome to the forum! Nice looking Evans. There have been a few Evans surfacing lately, though they're still uncommon.

I thought all these Viscounts had the ever popular and highly sought out after springer front fork? None shown here have it?
Dang cannibals.

Mine was a late 50s "800" model and I was one of those dang cannibals as I sold off the fork, fenders, seat, chainguard, pedals, bars and tank.
Still have the frame, crank set and rear rack. No need for it though.

I decided to part out the bike, which I rarely do, because I couldn't find the tanklight lens. And I'm all about the tanklights....duh
Kinda wish I kept it.
It's cool to finally see the complete tanklight though. I'd love to have a good picture of just the tanklight complete for the "tanklight" photo album we have here....
http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showth...t-photo-album&highlight=tanklight+photo+album

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Back