When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Evaporust or oxyalic acid

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Still $16.15 on Amazon for a gallon. Some people are saying the newest stuff doesn't work as good as the old. I have not tried the newest yet so can not say. I hope it's not true as I bought 8 gallons! I use both Oxalic and evaporust for the reasons the guys said above.

Evaporust as others mentioned is too expensive for anything big. You must completely submerge for decent results.

Electrolytic derusting works well, pretty much like Evaporust, except if there is no line of sight path from your electrodes to some of the rust, it will miss that rust. For instance, I don't think it would do much if anything to the inside of the tubes of a bike frame, while Evaporust gets everything. It scales up economically (the chemical is washing soda from the grocery store), and I have used a kiddie pool. Works great.

Oxalic acid I have only used on small things. I have seen pictures in this forum of amazing saves on painted parts, where I feel sure Evaporust or Electrolytic derusting would have got under the paint and lifted it off. It may not be OK for certain paint colors. Best to read every old oxalic acid thread you can find.
Evaporust doesn't hurt paint

Evaporust doesn't hurt paint

Technically no, but there is a tiny bit of rust under the paint. Maybe not even enough to see, but it's there. The evaporust will get under there and remove that rust. The paint will float off. Probably not all the paint, but more than you expected. I have seen pictures in this forum of transformations made with oxalic acid that I think would definitely not have been possible with evaporust, even if your pockets are deep enough. I have not done any big oxalic acid dips myself, so you can take that with a grain of salt if you want. I do have a garbage can with 7 gallons of evaporust in it. I can dip things. I have learned not to put things in there that I am trying to preserve the paint on.

How is Evaporust on pedal rubber (e.g. 1960's Schwinn waffle blocks)?
Can they be submerged?

No effect on rubber but why would you soak them in Evaporust?
Sorry, dumb phrasing on my part.
I have some old pedals that I want to disassemble and the nuts holding it together are super-rusty.

Have you tried Liquid Wrench that will penetrate into the threads? Use it on the bolts and let it sit for a while then use hammer to LIGHTLY and carefully tap on the bolt that should loosen the rust bond.

Back