When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever see a pair of these come up?

-

OhioJones

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I've seen some photos and what not of these in use back in the day. Would love to see about grabbing a pair. Maybe even making a pair or two. I would imagine that originals would be somewhat crude and probably best for display. But, I'm intrigued. Northern Michigan and especially the U.P. have quite a bit of unused track. :D

Ever seen these come up, and if so, how much?
sears.jpg

I had one like this years ago, It had 2 steel wheels about 6 in. apart, I have seen ads for a few different brands, never tried it but when I worked for the UPRR one of the guys on the road crew( we were outside of Las Vegas ) made one for a dirt bike (used paint scaffolding and wheels of a track car) he took the tires off and lined the rim with rubber, leather or something, we used to mess around with it after work ( we were stationed out in the desert with a train car to live on) but never worked too good, I think the forks needed to be welded straight. we rode in a little track car (12 hp motors) and even tho we know the schedule my head was always on a swivel looking both ways ready to jump off!

I had one like this years ago, It had 2 steel wheels about 6 in. apart, I have seen ads for a few different brands, never tried it but when I worked for the UPRR one of the guys on the road crew( we were outside of Las Vegas ) made one for a dirt bike (used paint scaffolding and wheels of a track car) he took the tires off and lined the rim with rubber, leather or something, we used to mess around with it after work ( we were stationed out in the desert with a train car to live on) but never worked too good, I think the forks needed to be welded straight. we rode in a little track car (12 hp motors) and even tho we know the schedule my head was always on a swivel looking both ways ready to jump off!

Sounds like a blast!! How long ago was that?

Kinda hijacking this thread but I worked for Union Pacific Railroad in late 70,s early 80's, cal. div. LA to LV, painted bridges over the harbor & canyons and any buildings in between, we had a deluxe living car (40's or 50's) with AC, heat, shower, slept 9, my boss made sure nobody else used it (road crews lived on a covered box cars) we had a box car for our painting/sandblasting etc.equipment ,we kept our dirt bikes (Yamaha 250 YZ) in there also,(wished UP went up the coast, we would have had surfboards) we worked 4/10's so we could drive home (about 250 miles was the furthest away but still gave us the car & per-deum [extra money for being on the road] when we were only 10 away at the harbor) on thur after wk or stayed and partied all weekend, SCORE & SNORE off road races, I was great taking girls back to our "train", could fill many pages on those adventures, was a great job to have in your mid 20's plus they had to pay you vacation if you worked 6 mo straight so they laid you off just before (cheep) but they paid you RR unemployment for 6 mo. so I'd live in Hawaii Oct-Dec surfing, home for Christmas then Utah, Tahoe or Mammoth working at ski resorts (for the ski pass) Jan-Mar then get called back to work but that is a whole other story. My dad hated it, if anybody ask what I did he said my occupation was recreation :mad: but I thought I had it maid :cool:, did that for few yrs. sorry for the long wended answer but I could go on for days! It was Fun!

Last edited:
Back