When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever Seen a Chainwheel Like This One?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Or your Sugino Cycloids. Dang wobble drives keep coming back every few years. This one looks kind of interesting, and probably lighter than a Dana 3 speed.

Back to the yard this morning, and the trike is an Elba, Orlando, FLView attachment 928221

View attachment 928222

View attachment 928223

The only part there is the chain wheel, no tensioner, no lever, no changer. That white stripe on the downtube is where the changer was mounted?
This discussion probably ended 3 years ago, but just in case it didn't, I can add a comment. I actually bought one of these drives in the late 70's and mounted it on a Raleigh with a 3 Speed Sturmey Archer hub. I thought it worked pretty well, and it gave me a broader range of gears than the 3-speed hub alone. The shifting mechanism was just a brake-like shoe that held the control plate stationary. (It normally rotated with the chainwheel.) The spiral shaped groove in the control plate then moved the toothed small wheels inwards if you were pedalling normally, or outwards if you backpedalled.

There were only two problems I encountered. It was heavy as a rock! Also, on rare occasion, it would shift itself. I was never able to analyze why.

I saw the picture of it in Frank Berto's book, "The Dancing Chain". Brought back an interesting memory.

I got rid of (sold, gifted, don't recall) the 3-speed bike with the Hagen Allspeed when I graduated and bought a shiny new Motobecane 10-speed.

I just bought one of these. Does anyone have better pictures of the shift actuator? I'll probably end up adapting something to work for this one, but it would be nice to have a starting point for what I'm going to make.

1000001848.png

Back