When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Excelsior bicycles

-
chitown;303441 [B said:
Unknown year... Early Teens? modified badge? Arnold Schwinn Excelsior[/B]

11613072764_5025e85853-1.jpg

Wonderful early Schwinn badged beast found here:

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?51556-Need-help-with-a-teens-20s-Chicago-exclesior

I've got an Arnold Schwinn & Co. (E) badge just like the one shown here.
I've always been curious about it, because what Schwinn bought, was the Excelsior Motor Manufacturing and Supply Company of Chicago. Which I thought was completely unrelated to the Michigan City Indiana Excelsior.
The stylized (E) badge is clearly a Michigan City Excelsior badge, so what gives with the AS&Co. version?

I've got an Arnold Schwinn & Co. (E) badge just like the one shown here.
I've always been curious about it, because what Schwinn bought, was the Excelsior Motor Manufacturing and Supply Company of Chicago. Which I thought was completely unrelated to the Michigan City Indiana Excelsior.
The stylized (E) badge is clearly a Michigan City Excelsior badge, so what gives with the AS&Co. version?

The Schwinn badge is closer to the early pre-1912. If you look at under the "Mfg by" there are some little dashes and dots that don't show up on the 2 Excelsior Cycle Co (Mich city & Chicago) versions.

So I think Ignaz got the leftover stock and maybe re-stamped??? with Schwinn etched into the die stamp??? The Schwinn script is suspiciously raised and not well defined so it looks altered???

any info would be helpful. only pic i have till the bike arrives next week.
dont know much about it except it has one wooden wheel the other is steel??
thanks

Looks like a mid to late twenties Michigan City built... possibly earlier. Based on the fenders and saddle mostly. Hard to tell though. If you can post serial numbers and detail pics that would be awesome. Great bike!!!

Have a couple frame

So I originally posted these to a Davis thread cause I thought that's what both these frame were. But I was informed they look like they are Excelsior built frames. Definitely doesn't help that the complete one has all after market stuff ha. You have a lot of helpful info here! Just curious is there any way to date them off of the codes? The red one say LB; the B is backwards and then under that it says 008?3 I cant make out the 4th number in and the 3 looks like it was almost triple stamped. Any info is appreciated thanks.

DSCN1602_zps92bfce51-1.jpg

DSCN1601_zpsa8cd79fd-1.jpg

DSCN1599_zpsbf860ab2-1.jpg

DSCN1605_zps968a2372-1.jpg

Bare Frame:

DSCN1606_zpsa71608c0-1.jpg

DSCN1608_zps54fe9e47-1.jpg

DSCN1607_zps418decc2-1.jpg

Excelsior / original

I just figured out what the frame I have is ... just before I ran across this post and read through it today ... Fantastic info ! In the pic it has an incorrect CWC Trail Blazer badge on it ... I happened to have a 1916 Excelsior style badge and it lines up with the mounting holes perfect . The steer tube is brass also .... I will re-read to try an estimate the date on it , thanks for the post , cool stuff . I have the fenders and most other parts too ....
IMG_2529.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

Back