When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Excelsior bought out Huffman Mfg in 1922

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

chitown

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
This one is news to me... anyone else?

August 17 1922 Motorcycle Illustrated:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Holy Crap .. Chris (chitown) ... you gots this hopefully-newsworthy article so miniaturized ...
my best "readers" from the Dollar General are useless .......

i sprinkled on some horsepower ........

....... patric

booksidjdI_AQAAMAAJpgRA8PA22img1zoom3hle-1.jpg

==================================================================
==================================================================

I know I am a bit slow but I did not read anything about the Davis Sewing Machine Co. in that article. Very interesting article. What year did Huffman start back up? Huffman existed after 1922. Wasn't it Shelby that bought out Davis?

I'm getting dizzy!

From Sept of 1922 showing the lineup for the Atlantic City Convention.

Post Huffman Mfg Excelsior deal yet Davis Sewing still selling bikes? with different company heads... no Huffman? Poor Horace has to sell tennis racquets at a bicycle show.:eek:

attachment.php

this is interesting, but not unexpected news.
George Huffman bought Davis Sewing Machine in 1888, moved from New York to Dayton Ohio in 1889. the first Davis bicycle came out in 1892.
1895 was the first year the Dayton name was used, and by 1897 Davis was the largest Manufacturer of bicycles in the U.S.
Davis went under in 1922 due to the influx of cheap sewing machines from post WWI europe.
Horace Huffman was in charge of liquidating the assets of Davis. the information has Huffman forming in 1924, and announcing intentions to get back into bicycles in 1928. in the interim Huffman made and sold service station equippment.
the Excelsior angle may simply have been a ploy to help sell the old Davis stuff. Excelsior may have seen it as an opportunity to gain the assets and to keep Huffman out of the game for a while, wile Huffman saw it as a way to strengthen his selling position. remember Davis was building both bicycles and motorcycles almost up to the time of it's demise.
...or something unforeseen happened. keep digging, it's getting interesting! ;)
the first actual Huffman bicycles came out late 1934.

Back