When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Excelsior or DX frame

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

jedijoe59

Finally riding a big boys bike
I just bought a bicycle from a guy on Graigslist. I believe it's a Schwinn Excelsior or DX. The head badge is long gone, but, there are two holes about 2 5/8 inches apart where it was. the serial number is: A79940, I'm guessing it was made between 1939-1941? it's been pianted at least three times, the original color was red. I have attached a couple of pictures.View attachment 11157View attachment 11158

That's too bad, I thought it was a prewar Schwinn I colud resotre. I guess I will sell it on Ebay, and keep looking for Schwinn. Thanks for the info.

To be honest in the frames themselves, I've found that Schwinn doesn't have an inherent quality advantage. I've got a prewar Schwinn and a postwar Columbia around these days. In terms of pure frame quality, the Columbia is the Schwinn's equal. It seems to me the real difference is in the kind of project you want and the final bike's build (with all the extra stuff). Maybe it's like how there are some "Ford guys" and some "Chevy guys".

Back