When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Excited about this Raleigh Lenton

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I fell in love with the Raleigh and probably paid too much, $275. Shipped. But I am ok with that. Are the Swallows still available new? I have a B-15 and tool bag I think is going on it. Good to know about the campy. Hey Bulldog would you be able to get me a year with the serial number? Sn# 31146 RA. I think it is probably a 61.

here you go, Modern Bike - Andy is good people
https://www.modernbike.com/product-2126212940

I rode mine this morning
fu3ryHU.jpg

and my favorite BBQ stand along the greenway had poppers - these usually sell out - also, their ribs are award-winning, and better than Luling City Market.
xhFkD77.jpg

-----

Thanks very much for sharing this fascinating find.

Do our Tube Investments experts know the years/models on which this fork crown cap was employed?

-----

Thanks for the link Bulldog, and that food is making my mouth water. Hey Juvela, I am by no means an expert, but from what I have read that fork crown cap was only on this model and only for 1960 and 1961.

I'm pretty sure the use of 531 (straight gauge) in both this frame and the earlier Raleigh Record Ace (1947-54) are only in the main triangle.
Making the top-grade production frames of the 50s closer to the Super Course of the 70s rather than the Pro or International.

9lj7aQj.jpg
guXTy9L.jpg

Certainly the forks are all-Raleigh, and the rear triangles are TI tubing (same with the Super Course). The drop-outs, of course, are stamped (also Super Course).

qFTDjCk.jpg
8AaEaQW.jpg

There were a few examples of Raleigh Record Ace custom factory racers as late as 1956 that used butted 531, 531 forks and stays, Nervar lugs, and Campy dropouts.
You can also tell these RRA's because they're wearing chrome socks.

Last edited:
I have a 86 Grand Prix that is double butted 531, and has an upgraded set of wheels on it. Got it from a friend whom bought it new. One of my better riding and quicker bikes. And like the one I just bought, it will remain with me till I am gone.

Those are Nitto T (for touring). I found them on-line for half-price in a CA consignment shop.
They copy the old Coloral cages, but with that top extension that makes them grab a modern bottle better.
AKa6uDi.jpg

They're held on with king-cage universal support bolts, which are a stainless hose clamp with stud-welded M5s.

Last edited:
I'm going to add again, whoever owned your Lenton loved it and rode it.
The upgrades he made to the derailleurs and rims were conscious choices to keep riding it while others were buying newer bikes.
The upgrade to alloy rims improved the response of the bike, its climbing ability, and especially the braking.
His changes might have ruined the bike for some collectors, but you got a better bike for them.

The catalog-perfect thing created the market for parting out historic bikes. When I tackled my Lenton bare frame, I knew it would cost as much to hunt down the original Williams crank, wheels, derailleurs, etc. in the buy-back market, as it would to design and build my custom. I ended up with a better bike for it.
CYj3Evv.jpg

@LouB a project for you might be to take the rims you just removed from your Charrel, and have them rebuilt on your Lenton hubs (you've already changed gearing and RD).
Those wide rims would go great with the reach and travel of the GB brakes.
Wheelbuilding charges at Howard's shop are much less than most, and the work quality is higher than most.
Also, you can't simply swap out wheels, because the axles on the Charrel wheelset are too big to fit the Lenton dropouts.

DgLjVMX.jpg

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the use of 531 (straight gauge) in both this frame and the earlier Raleigh Record Ace (1947-54) are only in the main triangle....
You can also tell these RRA's because they're wearing chrome socks.

The post war RRA was full 531. Butted frame tubes, forks, stays. I used to have one, and the frame was one of the lightest frames in my size I've ever weighed. Specifically I have two that are lighter, which I believe to be Accles&Pollock "Kromo". They weigh 68 and 69 oz (bare frame, no fork). The RRA was 72 oz. Other 531 frames were in the 74-78 range.

As for the original rims on the Lenton Grand Prix, it's a moot point since this one doesn't have them. That said, aluminum rims are generally an upgrade over steel, but Dunlop Special Lightweight rims are really an exception, especially if we're taking about 27" aluminum rims from the early 60's.

I grant you that aluminum gives better braking, especially in wet conditions, but that is really the only advantage they offered.

Back