When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Excited about this Raleigh Lenton

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bikerbluz

Finally riding a big boys bike
Picked up this project that was listed as a 1960’s Raleigh Grand Sport. After looking at it closely, I realized it was a Grand Prix, that is missing the Lenton part of the decal. Pretty complete and original, I think. I do not believe the derailleurs are original, though. Really cool bike that has set a long time. Got to reading everything I could find on these, I believe it was Bulldog, that recently redid one which came out fantastic. I think this one is either a 1960 or 1961. I am looking forward to getting some feedback from some members. I read after the Gran prix became the grand sport in 62, that they were not Reynolds 531 but were equipped with campy components. I wonder if this could be a late 61 and might explain the front derailleur?

720F0331-51F5-49B5-BC1B-B85CE9E17206.jpeg

13794B58-E40A-4109-B9B8-808CFA3A8B05.jpeg

9756D0D0-8FA0-48E5-9EC7-91FD0AD5661D.jpeg

697FBDB8-CDB7-4AED-86E5-EA2873CCDC1A.jpeg

FE2AAB70-1565-419F-9CE0-3F9B53706F7C.jpeg

FCFBCE53-EA1A-420D-8F63-D633092C1382.jpeg

E89BCF0E-9334-47B0-AA83-4D5F55F9712D.jpeg

81309FDD-2780-43D1-A1C2-F41D0F89E49D.jpeg

A146D906-A237-400D-9C12-2D1C2135A280.jpeg

95683C20-0066-47A2-A572-1BCF513EB716.jpeg

7050C5B5-51C3-4327-825E-A207888A5AA2.jpeg

1D8126A4-60AD-4083-96C3-BBF287CC77BE.jpeg

756046B9-A88B-4CE2-996C-E409B8D9B5CC.jpeg

C76AFEAE-9516-4AD9-B97E-A86FB9F541AC.jpeg

Very cool. Yes 531 Reynolds tubing. Classic example of the English club bicycle. Mine came with all Cyclo-Benelux draileurs (half step crank), GB brakes, levers and handlebars. Also a Brooks Swift B15 saddle. Gotta have the coolest decal set ever!
RLGP 03.jpg
RLGP 03.jpg

Congratulations Bikerbluz, that's a cool bike! Good condition all round.

These were the last Reynolds 531 frames built at the Nottingham plant. After the last Lenton Grand Prix left the building, Raleigh didn't build with 531. When they started putting the Raleigh name on frames again, summer fine years later, they were made at the Carlton plant in Worksop.

I had one a Lenton Grand Prix as well, probably a 1958 one. It was pretty tatty but I loved it.

The early ones (1958-?) had a lever operated Cyclo Benelux front derailleur, so only one brazed on shifter boss. I really liked the lever operated derailleur, in some ways one of the best front derailleurs I've ever used-- though of course it was shifting between 46t and 49t chain rings, and i really couldn't tell the difference.

The original rear derailleur, a Cyclo Benelux four speed model, was trouble. They shift well if adjusted right, but no matter how stoutly built (a lot of steel!) they would bend if the bike fell on the right side. Once bent, the derailleur would shift into the spokes automatically. That's likely why you have a Frame rim and a Svelto derailleur!

The original rims were Dunlop Special Lightweight, 27". They were chromed steel but no heavier than most aluminum ones and really the nicest steel rims ever. No matter how badly they got banged up, you could true then again.

Looks like you have the original Racelite hubs, which are excellent.

The earlier ones had a Williams chainset (crankset) with Raleigh herons on the outer ring. I'm not knocking your crank, though. It is a Raleigh product, also quite nice. The Gran Sport you mentioned had the same crank.

I am puzzled by your brakes. I think those are the (very desirable) 1950-53 model. I believe the original brakes on your bike were more likely Weinmann 730's. Needless to say, I could be all wrong about that.

Lenton Grand Prix were introduced in fall '56, and made the first catalog in '58.
I'm sure mine is a '57.
'61 was the last year, and they were replaced in the line with the '62 Gran Sport.

I think Lou's '60 with 5-sp rear has the same brakes and definitely the same shifters, though Cyclo FD and RD.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and input. I had noticed that the brake levers on mine were different, more plain, then others I had seen. I wondered if the Fiame rims were replacements, and I remember reading somewhere that the 60, 61 models were supposed to have Weinmann 730’s on them. Although most I have seen still have had the GB brakes. Didn’t realize these were the last 531 frames built in Nottingham, pretty cool. I really enjoy digging into the history part of our hobby. Anyone know what year the campy front derailleur might be? The rear Huret is kind of strange and I’m not sure it is still usable.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and input. I had noticed that the brake levers on mine were different, more plain, then others I had seen. I wondered if the Fiame rims were replacements, and I remember reading somewhere that the 60, 61 models were supposed to have Weinmann 730’s on them. Although most I have seen still have had the GB brakes. Didn’t realize these were the last 531 frames built in Nottingham, pretty cool. I really enjoy digging into the history part of our hobby. Anyone know what year the campy front derailleur might be? The rear Huret is kind of strange and I’m not sure it is still usable.
I would expect the Lenton to come with Dunlop steel rims - upgrade to alloy is a very typical and very smart move - really changes the nature of the bike.
Changing parts to make a bike better is a good thing - don't let the catalog-perfect mentality get you down. Any bike that was loved and ridden was changed.
Velobase is always the first place to search parts - write the part and the word velobase in your google search
http://velobase.com/ListComponents.aspx?Category=113&BrandID=547f3aa0-e86c-41a3-b5a6-f75628ea75e7
Campy Gran Sport FD introduced in 1952.
Mine is a custom fast and versatile drivetrain, and attempt to make the top look correct.
gQwsmFu.jpg

Last edited:
Bulldog, thanks for all the info and advice. During the week I was waiting to get my bike I read everything I could find on the Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix. Your makeover of your splendid machine was an inspiration for me. Is that a Brooks Swallow on yours?

yes, I love them for drop-bar bikes - most invisible saddle I've ever ridden. Especially on the aggressive riding position of the Lenton.
Swallow (B15) was also the stock saddle on Lentons.
btw, whatever you paid for the bike, the Campy FD is probably worth the full amount.

Last edited:
Back