When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exposing Original Factory Paint

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Rides4Fun

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi All,

Recently, a caber posted pictures of his beautiful effort in removing house paint to expose the original orange/white finish on his vintage balloon bike (have looked and looked, but can't find that post again)

Was wondering if you could share your tips, pictures, etc. on how this is done without harming the orginal paint. Also, would be interested in seeing any before and after pics of your successful efforts!

My apologies if this has been covered in depth before, but it's something I have never attempted as a rookie caber and look foward to your insights.

Thank you,

Barry

It has been covered a lot and if you use Google or You Tube you can find a lot of help. My trys to do this have had slim to no success. I have been doing bikes since the mid 1960s. Roger

Thank you, Roger. I will definitely check out the sites you mention. If others have pics or know of the orange/white balloon bike restoration I referenced, I would appreciate finding it again.

I've been using goof-off graffiti remover on European 1930's "black bikes" and it has been working great. Crinkles up the housepaint and leave the baked on paint alone. It does need to be polished up afterwards, but it comes right back.

cheap dollar store oven cleaner and not letting it stay on long works. Just enough time to bite.Though you have to watch out for added art, pinstripes and darts, that is softer paint. that Graffiti remover works well on those.

IMG_0066.JPG
IMG_0781.JPG
Always start with wd40 and 0000 steel wool and go from there.

cheap dollar store oven cleaner and not letting it stay on long works. Just enough time to bite.Though you have to watch out for added art, pinstripes and darts, that is softer paint. that Graffiti remover works well on those.

Thank you Abe! I would have never considered oven cleaner!

Back