When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Extra time around the house? Check your bikes for build sheets!!!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
When did Schwinn start/stop doing this practice?

37-39 for sure. Not too many pop up so tough to say for sure. I'm not even sure every bike got one, or how they were used, etc. They do typically have the bike color on the back of half of it, Jason (Obi) smartly hypothesized it was likely left sticking out of the top of the seat tube when the bike was sprayed. You can see the tan, blue, and black paint on some of the ones above.

One thing I have learned from the build sheets that do exist - the specs in the catalog for the bars, pedals, and seats vs. what is on the build sheets is quite different. A couple of these were pulled from boys bikes but have juvenile/ladies spec bars, and/or pedals. I also love seeing my favorite 30x12 SB bars as original equipment on some bikes, especially when one of them is mine. Also that Gillette Bear tires were a pretty popular tire it seems.

Think those are Schwinn related? Totally could be but also seems odd that they would end up in a bike like that. Cool either way. I've found some weird junk in the seat tube before, like a whole platoon of plastic army men jammed down in there.....

My dad received the bike used in 1948 so I’m pretty certain those were in there when they left the factory. I can’t think of any rhyme or reason other than a factory worker just messing around probably on the paint line. V/r Shawn

Never been lucky enough to find any but haven't checked to many bikes tho, heard other co. like Colson had them also, some in the fork tube?, not much room with the goose neck!

Back