When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Extremely Rare Pioneer Scout, or is it?

-
D

davekingedits

I noticed that the "Extremely Rare 1870's Pioneer Scout Adult Tricycle" didn't sell on Ebay (item # 200493386848), despite being listed at only $375. I'm guessing that this is a fantasy piece someone cobbled together out of angle iron and spare parts and tried to pass of as a historic artifact. Is that right?

David King

I don't know a lot about that era of bike but it sure looks like it was built to be a bike not a decoration. I've seen some of this style built for display and they dont seem to have the same level of craftmanship that this bike has. I would also like to hear more on this bike.

Ok, I thought it would be nice to have the pictures here to look at.
BujpWi2kKGrHqFhIEvri1owSfBM0QfIfDg_3-1.jpg

BujqBZgBmkKGrHqRhYEv10EiJBM0WZNGGQ_3-1.jpg

BujpyQwB2kKGrHqVi8Ev10F1l2BM0U3h1Q_3-1.jpg

BujpgTgB2kKGrHqNhUEv10IYHNBM0R1ZTg_3-1.jpg

Bujp9ZQBWkKGrHqVjUEv10G12nBM0VKUn_3-1.jpg

BujpDQEWkKGrHqVjMEv10Cq3dBM0QbqQ_3-1.jpg

OMG is that awesome!Aside from the paint job it definitely doesn't look cobbled together, solid craftsmanship. I wonder why it didn't sell........maybe the newer paint on it?

It was the fact that it didn't sell that made me suspicious. But maybe it is the real thing? How much to pre-safety tricycles go for?

David King

A 24"front wheel is definitely not an adult tricycle. Tied/soldered spokes are usually on wood rims. This one doesn't seem to have any provision for adding a tire. Interesting, but still a kid's trike.

Back