EZ-Off Oven Cleaner on Black Velocity Blunts?

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

Robertriley

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Apr 15, 2010
Riverside, Ca
OK, I refuse to pay $300 for a set of Polished Aluminum Blunts but own a set of black ones. We used to use EZ-off on anodized aluminum parts as kids to remove the colors. Has anyone tried it on a set of blunts?

whizzerbug

Finally riding a big boys bike
Dec 14, 2017
shirley long island ny
be very carefull when using ez off it contains lye ,ware rubber gloves a long sleeve shirt and eye protection , I use it to clean carburetors usually only takes a minute or two,flush with warm soapy water

Bozman

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Aug 6, 2009
Alexandria, Virginia United States
Just did a set with the EZ Off extra strength. Worked great. Work with it using protective gloves while it is still wet. I used 0000 steel wool to strip the paint off the rim. Then rinsed, dried and polished with Flitz polish.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JimRoy

Jan 8, 2017
Indianapolis
Just finished painting and building these Velocity Blunts. I got the paint scheme idea from an old bike ad. Every idea I have of my own, I find out someone else had it 100 years ago:) I'm going to build another set and I might try the shiny loops. Thanks, Jim
20190811_192928.jpg

20190811_192629.jpg

20190807_195653.jpg

20190731_200143.jpg

Robertriley

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Apr 15, 2010
Riverside, Ca
Just finished painting and building these Velocity Blunts. I got the paint scheme idea from an old bike ad. Every idea I have of my own, I find out someone else had it 100 years ago:) I'm going to build another set and I might try the shiny loops. Thanks, Jim
20190811_192928.jpg

20190811_192629.jpg

20190807_195653.jpg

20190731_200143.jpg
Looks GREAT!!!!

Bozman

Aug 6, 2009
Alexandria, Virginia United States
Absolutely Gorgeous

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

JimRoy

Jan 8, 2017
Indianapolis
Very nice! I bet using double-butted spokes would take them to the next level. Great work!
I started using NOS Torrington DBs for my 26" prewar and postwar wheel builds. but I "purposely" used straight 14g Wheelsmith spokes and will continue to use them for my 1920s wheel builds. Using DB spokes on these wheels will not take them up a level... The 14g straights, are the preferred spoke to use when building this style wheel. However, I agree the DB spokes are best for the 26" balloon wheels and I have a beautiful set of wheels for sale using Torrington DB spokes and nipples. Thanks, JimRoy

Reactions: OhioJones

OhioJones

Aug 1, 2015
Detroit, United States
Great thread. I'm floored by how good the blunts look on the bikes. Must have spent nearly one hour looking at images after seeing this post.
Jim Roys nips look good. >=]
Unique, even.

Reactions: JimRoy

Archie Sturmer

I live for the CABE
Jun 13, 2018
Los Angeles, CA, USA
So, if I plan on re-painting the aluminum rims, I might not have to remove any OEM black paint, already in very good condition?

49autocycledeluxe

I live for the CABE
May 29, 2017
fremont california
what benefit is there for double butted spokes on a 50 pound bike?

had to google what these blunts were.

Reactions: JimRoy

JimRoy

Jan 8, 2017
Indianapolis
what benefit is there for double butted spokes on a 50 pound bike?

had to google what these blunts were.
No benefit in my opinion, just personal preference. Did the 1920s wooden wheels use double butted spokes?

SKPC

I live for the CABE
Feb 2, 2018
Utah - United States
You can appreciate how butted spokes were used on many of the older wheels, even on ballooners. It does take a small amount of the rotating wheel weight down and give the wheel some give. The sharp & short butt on the ends of the early spokes is easy to spot. I think butted was a pretty standard spoke for some time?

49autocycledeluxe

I live for the CABE
May 29, 2017
fremont california
found this on the internet. I have that book. I only read the parts that had to do with wheel issues at the time.

In his book 'The bicycle wheel' Jobst Brandt, says that double butted spokes will be more resistant to fatigue failure when built into a wheel.
This is because spokes break because of the cyclic stress they suffer as the wheel rotates.
As the spoke rotates thru the bottom of the wheel it experiences a reduction in tension.
Butted spokes are more elastic so this reduction in tension is spread over more spokes, each experiencing a smaller reduction in tension.
Wheels are an order of magnitude stiffer than the tyres they roll on, so any stiffness differences will not be noticeable. A wheel built with butted spokes will be able to carry a heavier load before any of the spokes become slack. At this point the rim is no longer restrained and the wheel will be more likely to collapse.

Mr. Monkeyarms

I live for the CABE
Oct 30, 2018
Colorado
Rotational weight is also 3 times that of static weight. Best way to boost performance on anything with wheels=better/lighter wheels & tires.

Especially if you only have 1/2 horsepower...

Thaddeus

Look Ma, No Hands!
Oct 23, 2019
Western NY
Ive used the easy off on used work trucks, takes the painted name off and doesnt effect original paint, which is rough anyway , since paint under is pristene its shadow shows even with an aggressive buff, aluminum?very tricky stuff, had my share on semi fuel tanks, was offered mega bucks to dangle and buff water towers, may as well become a honey dipper,

This ad goes away when you register for an account!