When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EZ-Off Oven Cleaner on Black Velocity Blunts?

-
Very nice! I bet using double-butted spokes would take them to the next level. Great work!
I started using NOS Torrington DBs for my 26" prewar and postwar wheel builds. but I "purposely" used straight 14g Wheelsmith spokes and will continue to use them for my 1920s wheel builds. Using DB spokes on these wheels will not take them up a level... The 14g straights, are the preferred spoke to use when building this style wheel. However, I agree the DB spokes are best for the 26" balloon wheels and I have a beautiful set of wheels for sale using Torrington DB spokes and nipples. Thanks, JimRoy

Great thread. I'm floored by how good the blunts look on the bikes. Must have spent nearly one hour looking at images after seeing this post.
Jim Roys nips look good. >=]
Unique, even.

So, if I plan on re-painting the aluminum rims, I might not have to remove any OEM black paint, already in very good condition?

You can appreciate how butted spokes were used on many of the older wheels, even on ballooners. It does take a small amount of the rotating wheel weight down and give the wheel some give. The sharp & short butt on the ends of the early spokes is easy to spot. I think butted was a pretty standard spoke for some time?

found this on the internet. I have that book. I only read the parts that had to do with wheel issues at the time.

In his book 'The bicycle wheel' Jobst Brandt, says that double butted spokes will be more resistant to fatigue failure when built into a wheel.
This is because spokes break because of the cyclic stress they suffer as the wheel rotates.
As the spoke rotates thru the bottom of the wheel it experiences a reduction in tension.
Butted spokes are more elastic so this reduction in tension is spread over more spokes, each experiencing a smaller reduction in tension.
Wheels are an order of magnitude stiffer than the tyres they roll on, so any stiffness differences will not be noticeable. A wheel built with butted spokes will be able to carry a heavier load before any of the spokes become slack. At this point the rim is no longer restrained and the wheel will be more likely to collapse.

Rotational weight is also 3 times that of static weight. Best way to boost performance on anything with wheels=better/lighter wheels & tires.

Especially if you only have 1/2 horsepower...

Ive used the easy off on used work trucks, takes the painted name off and doesnt effect original paint, which is rough anyway , since paint under is pristene its shadow shows even with an aggressive buff, aluminum?very tricky stuff, had my share on semi fuel tanks, was offered mega bucks to dangle and buff water towers, may as well become a honey dipper,

Back