When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

F Moser Forma

-

bulldog1935

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
got a good deal on this classic lugged steel frame and finished it a few weeks ago - enough to already pedal 100 miles.
It doesn't count as vintage, but it counts as instant classic.
Graphics on the frame and 1996 Olympics badge date it to the late 90s. I call it the brewpub racer, because if my buddy and I can land at a brewpub in a ride, we will.
I have six decades of parts represented on it. It's a Frankengruppe, but it all works together great.
aP5140003-1.jpg

aP5110001jpg-1.jpg

aP51100011-1.jpg

aP5040003-1.jpg

aP5190022-1.jpg

I was given a used cross tubular wheelset, so this gave me a lot of room, including good tires
While the wheels show wear, they're perfectly true and hubs are as smooth and efficient as new hubs.
I build this bike for $650, and was very happy with the price and the result.

1960s, almost don't count, are my straight-lever Grand Sport quick release skewers.
From the 70s I used my rebuilt Shimano 600 EX RD, KKT pedals, NOS Dia Compe levers
80s are the Triomphe friction shifters, alloy Cinelli clips and yellow Ale straps
90s are the wheelset (American Classic/Sun), Mirage BB, Rudelli HS, and the frame itself
Naughties are NOS Chorus brakes, NOS Centaur crankset, and used Daytona FD
Teens are the remaining new parts, Cinelli 64 bar, Nitto long Pearl stem, Thomson Masterpiece seatpost, Yokozuna cables, SRAM hollow-pin chain, and Selle Anatomica (titanicoX) saddle.

In the top photo, the freewheel is a 7-speed IRD 13-28, but I managed to get a Zenith 8-speed 13-24 from SJS in the UK and it shifts wonderfully on the DT friction shifters.
It seems like the RD, Shimano 600 EX Arabesque, could still shift a 9th cog.
On the 39T chainring, the gears are 5-inch steps from 43 inches to 80 inches. It's a joy to ride.
Love the Challenge tubulars, 27mm Parigi in rear and 25mm Strada in front - at 110 psi they're like riding soft butter, and out-roll everything around. The AnAtomica is the most invisible saddle I've ever ridden, and the dual-pivot Chorus brakes are the best side-pulls I've ever squeezed.
Also came in at 21 lbs, which is not bad with a 64cm steel frame

I had previously converted my '76 Raleigh into a randonneur with a Cyclotouriste triple (and NOS Cyclone GT RD), and had hoped to use the Nuovo Record crankset I removed from it on the Moser. But Q was too low on the older crank, and it wouldn't clear the chainstays, so I needed either either a wider BB or a new crank, and I got a great unopposed ebay bid on the NOS Centaur.
My daughter will use the Nuovo Record crank on a '86 Team Fuji she's building during summer break.

Last edited:
you guys are a tough audience
here's a good photo from today's ride
we're on top of the divide between the Guadalupe and Pedernales rivers. Closest town is Luchenbach.
From his MIL's ranch on Muesebach creek, it was only a 10-mi one way, and a 700' climb over the last 5 miles.
aP6090007-1.jpg

it was fast going back

Last edited:
Wow man thats one sweet ride, And you must be fricken 6'5 or something! haha I love the collage of parts but without making it obvious. And personally looking at and buying classic road bikes gets my blood going more than just about any bike does. lol they're just so clean and sexy... plus very efficient and practical with pieces of over indulgence. lol great bike man.

What a beauty! Your ride reminds me of home.... Riding those hils was a great way to apperciate Mother Earth!!

Thanks guys, actually I'm 6'3" but all limbs - 36" inseam.
Here's the current form of the bike - I changed the RD and shifters to Campy Chorus (had to change the shift levers for the large travel needed by the Campy RD), really like the Modolo brake levers.
I couldn't get the SA saddles to ever stop stretching, so I've gone to Rivet. Picked up a nice wheelset, Moskva clinchers on C-Record hubs.
I've ridden over 3000 mi on her and love it - I call her Francesca.
aaaP6140003-1.jpg

made me look - yes, they are partially drilled - these have the Moser hour record pantograph and when the guy in Hungary still had a bunch, I got them for a realistic price
aP9240014-1.jpg

what I like about them, aside from the Very Cozy hoods, is that they have no wobble or free-play - they have such positive function, and I have about 1/16" travel to full brake - they're dialed in tight.

no, the price kept creeping up (I paid $45) and some of the people who bought them up are trying to re-sell them at $135.

Back