When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

F/S - Old Black Sting Ray

-

Baldy Jeff

Finally riding a big boys bike
F/S - Old Black Sting Ray - I've had this March '65 for quite awhile now + it's sat in a box the whole time. It's a 98% original beauty + comes w/ NOS correctly dated rear knobby. I'm the first collector to own this + have done no cleanup or any alterations to bike. Bike has all it's original components, except rear knob. The NOS tire is to replace an off brand knobby which bike came to me with.

Overall the bike is a very clean, original example of the HTF rare black Sting Ray. Once rear tire is swapped + bike is detailed, someone will have a stunning original, rare bike.

The paint is beautiful w/ only a few scattered , very minor nicks. There is an area though, on kickstand side of headtube, w/ paint loss. Decals + screens are also very nice - checkout that original screen on guard ! ! !
Chrome is great w/ only a few very minor light rust spots on wheels. Naturally there's a few scuffs on the Persons stamped high loop + even less on corners of handlebars. All the chrome looks original + never cleaned w/ abrasives.
Seat is soooooooo nice!! No imperfections, but needs light cleanup. While mounting strut for pics, I did notice a small area UNDER strut on kickstand side w/ a small typical tear. I tried to take a pic, but there's nothing to see unless seat is removed. Great tag + clean pan.
As previously mentioned, bike comes w/ soft NOS correctly dated Schwinn knobby to replace current incorrect replacement. Front tire is nice + appears crack free. It is date matched to rear...first quarter of '65.
The original center stamped wheels are naturally very nice, but need light cleanup + obvious grease.
The pedals that came w/ bike aren't typical '65 peds, but these weren't typical Sting Rays either.
As previously mentioned, I'm first collector to own this fine example of a rare Sting Ray. I have documentation from the picker who sold to me , stating that he got it from was a 96 year old guy whose mother won it in a TX grocery store Grand Opening. Sounds like the 96 yr old + his wife lived in same house their whole lives + never threw anything out. The picker said old guy had a huge building full of treasures,that he FINALLY got in after years trying.
The 96 yr old + wife never had kids so they'd bring home a few orphan boys on weekends. After church + Sunday dinner, the boys were allowed to ride the Sting Ray.
Expect skeptics will smile at this account , but the picker himself was an older gentleman + gave me no reason to doubt his word.
I'm offering this beauty F/S w/ local pick up only in SE Wisconsin. I'm quite possibly going to consider using ebay at some point , but for now am asking $16,500.
I'm easily available on Facebook or can send you an email address too. I do have a BUNCH of pics + happy to snap more for interested parties.
Thank You !

IMG_6904.JPG

IMG_6905.JPG

IMG_6907.JPG

IMG_6909.JPG

IMG_6913.JPG

IMG_6914.JPG

IMG_6917.JPG

IMG_6918.JPG

IMG_6920.JPG

IMG_6921.JPG

IMG_6934.JPG

IMG_6936.JPG

IMG_6937.JPG

IMG_6938.JPG

Sixteen thousand five hundred dollars for a Stingray. $16,500- I know it is an early model and black, am I understanding the price right?

GLWS. I want you to get that number so who ever is bargain shopping will be prepared for sticker shock on a nice used one like I have. Remember folks here in Texas and Oklahoma where these bikes came from we rode our bikes almost 12 months a year.

Back