When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fabers cyclery old advertisement

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Funny thing, I got done looking at this, and went on to look at something else. I just noticed I was humming Dion Warwick's song"Do you know the way to San Hose." Please , take it from my mind, it's as bad as the "Patty Duke Show" theme.

40 years ago a friend of mine was attending s.j.s.u. and told me of faber's cyclery. he took me there one day and my first view of it was from the freeway above and I couldn't wait to see the place. there was a stack of bike frames in the yard almost as tall as the building-it was incredible. alex was extremely friendly and could see we were hard core bike collectors-and let us roam in the back areas searching for treasure. finally we just couldn't see what we were looking at-it was getting dark. we came out and alex was calmly working on a bike/the shop had closed for the day-we had really stayed too long-the sun had long since set. everything was cool-he knew we were having a good time. alex was/is like that-a great guy. we went back there many times looking for the parts to build/complete our bikes. the cheesecake match covers pictured above were all over the place in almost every parts bin. one of the neatest things I got at faber's was....I was able to assemble a complete n.o.s. new departure model 'a' hub-mint condition from just going thru the parts bins(still have it)! what an iconic bike spot!
thumbnail_IMG_5766.jpg

I grew up with them. there father paul started a bike shop in san Leandro ca.
in the 60s then they move to santa cruz ca.
There he opened Branciforte bike shop.
Paul fell ill and Alex his son took over
at i believe 12 years old. That's where I first met them. Anthony the youngest of seven
was my age. We where in 3rd grade at that time. we hung out / work in that shop thru
high school. we competed in the first BMX race. we build some of the the first mountain bikes. road them down the santa cruz mountains. modify stingrays and 26" cantilever frames. you can only imagine all the poop that whent on with a bunch of wild ass kids running a bike shop. Then Alex buys Fabers for around $3,200 an old schwinn dealership ship full of nos stock i believe at that point Fabers had been in business for 65 years. A two story building with a hand dug basement. it had an old black smith shop out back, a two story barn, and a two car garage all full. Alex ran the business for another 35 years.
i was there when it finally closed. it was a shocked to see so many people so bummed out. grown men crying , people telling stories of their childhood. The landmark bike shop that ran for 100 year was over. Had the city and the local people done more to save this historic place other then just talk a bout how cool the place was and its historically significance to the community.
it would still be open today.
A SAD DAY FOR SAN JOSE
Screenshot_20181012-191719_Chrome.jpg

exactly bob-you nailed it-just being 'cool' and memories was not enough to save Faber's bike shop. I also believe the city wanted that building torn down as it was expanding and reviving downtown san jose by then city counsel/politicians-and let's face it-faber's was a bit of an eyesore. the fire that almost destroyed her was always a little suspect. its good to see the building has been restored and is still standing. the bike shop is just one of many roles the building has played-who knows what its next role will be!

Back