When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fabricating headlight lens...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Sevenhills1952

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Here's how I made a missing headlight lens for a Roadmaster bike I bought yesterday. After lots of failures this worked!
Lots of things come blister packed in clear plastic. First I laid the dual headlight bulb holder on top of plastic, cut it to size. Measure bulb center to center (mine was 1 5/8"), with marker make two dots there.
I wire polished round end of small ball peen hammer, clamped handle wrapped in a rag in a vice. Using a heat gun, heat hammer to I'm guessing about 150-200 degrees. Press plastic over each dot makes a dimple. The tricky part is heat hammer again and press plastic down over each dimple with force, keeping plastic from wrinkling or deforming.
With heating hammer peen end, then pressing plastic down eventually it goes as deep as you want. The tricky part is press, then twist a little to release each time. It helps having a sink close running cold water over plastic, keeping the shape.
I'm sure it would work with other shapes as well like a cone.
Until I find an NOS or good used one, it works for now!
Hopefully this helps someone.
05edfcefb9179303ad4cc63eea010c79.jpg
7766b11be50440de2ab88a1dff9f3acf.jpg
ba571de17c7dc6c20f59701ebee96b8a.jpg
f38254633f23baee117204d5a8d2b326.jpg
f18a5c150b4802219bdd3a5ab7640d1b.jpg
257477a44aebde807da757e2109bb106.jpg

Sent from my Bell candlestick

Here's how I made a missing headlight lens for a Roadmaster bike I bought yesterday. After lots of failures this worked!
Lots of things come blister packed in clear plastic. First I laid the dual headlight bulb holder on top of plastic, cut it to size. Measure bulb center to center (mine was 1 5/8"), with marker make two dots there.
I wire polished round end of small ball peen hammer, clamped handle wrapped in a rag in a vice. Using a heat gun, heat hammer to I'm guessing about 150-200 degrees. Press plastic over each dot makes a dimple. The tricky part is heat hammer again and press plastic down over each dimple with force, keeping plastic from wrinkling or deforming.
With heating hammer peen end, then pressing plastic down eventually it goes as deep as you want. The tricky part is press, then twist a little to release each time. It helps having a sink close running cold water over plastic, keeping the shape.
I'm sure it would work with other shapes as well like a cone.
Until I find an NOS or good used one, it works for now!
Hopefully this helps someone.View attachment 969955View attachment 969956View attachment 969957View attachment 969958View attachment 969959View attachment 969960

It looks good as lenses I bought from a member here,maybe better. Good job!

It looks good as lenses I bought from a member here,maybe better. Good job!
Thanks, but I certainly don't want to take any sales away from anyone making those. I'm thinking there are ones like my Roadmaster that aren't available.
If a more accurate authentic NOS or reproduction was available I'd buy it.

Back