When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory black Stingray ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

coasterbrakejunkie1969

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I'm starting this thread to gain information about black Stingray's. It has been claimed that some of the bikes shown were in fact painted in the Schwinn factory. I wondered if anyone has any real documentation of these bikes? I posed the question that perhaps they were painted by another party before being dressed at the dealer with components that all dealers would have had access to. Seems very likely because the paint and process were not used only by Schwinn. I do not want to see an old Ebay posting telling me story about the bike someone is auctioning off. I need something more then that, anything more. I believe these bikes to be legit but I need more proof then just pictures. Thanks

I'm starting this thread to gain information about black Stingray's. It has been claimed that some of the bikes shown were in fact painted in the Schwinn factory. I wondered if anyone has any real documentation of these bikes? I posed the question that perhaps they were painted by another party before being dressed at the dealer with components that all dealers would have had access to. Seems very likely because the paint and process were not used only by Schwinn. I do not want to see an old Ebay posting telling me story about the bike someone is auctioning off. I need something more then that, anything more. I believe these bikes to be legit but I need more proof then just pictures. Thanks

I saw another post on this topic that was locked? I am not sure why the posts trying to ascertain the authenticity of certain bikes keep getting locked? Isn't that defeating the purpose of having these discussions?

The black Sting-Ray that was recently being discussed is a beautiful bike, there is no disputing that! But there is a question as to the authenticity of the bike being "Factory Built"? From my previous experience working at a Schwinn dealer is that Schwinn was very good at keeping their dealers in the loop on certain things like this with service bulletins, or in their monthly news letter. So if it happened, then there is a record of it somewhere!!!!

The biggest red flag for me in respect to the recent bike in question was the bicycle license that was put under the saddle! This would have never happened, because the license was to identify the bike if it was ever lost or stolen, then recovered by law enforcement. This sticker was ALWAYS put on the frames, and never under the saddle. (saddles can be easily swapped out) Also, this license is traceable, and a simple inquiry to the proper enforcement authority can confirm the registered owner of the bike at the time it was registered. This would help with identifying the original owner, but not as to the authenticity of the bike being factory built.

As for the STORY behind the bike in question, and the email presented are nothing without any dealer documentation. A story is just a story, and is not PROOF something happened or existed!

Last edited:
e bicycle license that was put under the saddle!

I wondered about that. I have never lived in an area where you needed to register your bike. I imagine the tag would have to be in a spot where it could be easily seen not under the seat pan. The fact that a sticker under a seat is being used as an example of authenticity is baffling. Any competent collector would would realize how weak of an argument that is.

I wondered about that. I have never lived in an area where you needed to register your bike. I imagine the tag would have to be in a spot where it could be easily seen not under the seat pan. The fact that a sticker under a seat is being used as an example of authenticity is baffling. Any competent collector would would realize how weak of an argument that is.

Bike licenses were not required, they were just used as a way to register the bike, then track the owners in case the bike was ever recovered by law enforcement after being lost or stolen.

The KLUNKER 5 that came from my shop that I acquired on Ebay has its original California Bike license still attached to the frame on the seat tube.

Not my wheelhouse but I would question that stingray above as being an original paint 66'
If it looks that good and was obviously so well taken care of or not used at all, why does it need a new chain?
That proud of the originality of your bike and you put on a new chain? That chain is too bright to be original. Even a perfectly stripped and cleaned vintage chain will never shine like that.
Etc......
Easier to prove would be a black Stingray that isn't claimed to be the rarest of all, AND in perfect condition.
That stands just to the left of Impossible. And by the time most people get to 50yo., "If it seems too good to be true, it isn't" is more of a way of life than a conundrum.

All that said... I think I've seen an old beat up black stingray. But when and where may never appear in my head again.

Last edited:
Back