When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory black Stingray ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
A little off the blk SR but this is just the tip of the unknown things Schwinn did, when I was stripping the spray paint off the 53/4 Jaguar guard and noticed under the Jaguar screen/decal & OG Schwinn paint & undercoat there is a shadow of another different model screen/decal?, well I was told by old Schwinn employees there were bins of bad paint/screw-ups, guards, fenders etc. they would repaint & use, that would explain this and why me & others have also found different color paint under og paint or even painted over chrome fenders but that's a whole other story!

Yes this is my point about the '65s. But that does not explain the later bikes. They would have had to paint the frames especially for these bikes. Again something that would not be difficult for Schwinn to do. But a 3 year run of test bikes does not make sense. If they did not find a need for them in '65 why would they try again 2 more times. I understand Schwinn often did things that didn't make sense.

I get that , I often ask too many questions. It was seeming to me that the individual who prompted this thread had done a bit of research. I do not want to be clueless so I asked some questions. If he had any information he is keeping it close to the vest. I'm not sure why he would unless all his research had turned up nothing. If I had information to prove my point I would show it and not insult those who do not have the info and simply want to be informed. He is not Wonka and I'm not Slugworth trying to steal his everlasting gobbstopper recipe. I hope to find a black Stingray someday and would prefer to know what I'm talking about if and when I do. It stinks that I may have chased away one of my only resources. And BTW I love Muddy Waters awesome music.

Yea, some of the personalities on message boards such as this never cease to amaze me! Why would someone claim to have such a rare bike, but not be willing to share the provenance to confirm its authenticity? The only reason I can think of, is that there is none. A copy of the text from an email, the written text in an Ebay ad, or an alleged telephone conversation isn't much proof of anything. There is more proof of fakes out there, then there is of the bikes being the real deal, so what does that tell us?

These bikes were before my time working in the industry, so I have no first had knowledge of these bikes from those early years. And even if I saw one, or worked on one back in the days I was working at the shop, I would have not given it a second thought. It would have been just another Sting-Ray........

Yea, some of the personalities on message boards such as this never cease to amaze me! Why would someone claim to have such a rare bike, but not be willing to share the provenance to confirm its authenticity? The only reason I can think of, is that there is none. A copy of the text from an email, the written text in an Ebay ad, or an alleged telephone conversation isn't much proof of anything. There is more proof of fakes out there, then there is of the bikes being the real deal, so what does that tell us?
Another really good reason I wont buy a "restored" phantom...its WAY too easy to fake them, like comically easy.

Last edited:
I find it odd that the bike in question was posted shortly before that bike on Ebay was again listed for a ridiculous price. May be he wanted to peak some interest for his buddies bike. " Insert dropping bomb noise" If so that didn't quite work out.

I find it odd that the bike in question was posted shortly before that bike on Ebay was again listed for a ridiculous price. May be he wanted to peak some interest for his buddies bike. " Insert dropping bomb noise" If so that didn't quite work out.

I find it odd that they would announce something as minor as "Glitter Saddles" in the reporter I posted above, but not a color change for the frame.......................??????

👀
👃
👅

Back