When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory black Stingray ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have been into these bikes as well as other antique/classic bikes since 1985. Until about 3 years ago I never knew there was the possibility of original Black Schwinn Stingrays. This would all be a learning thing for me.

Last edited:
I have been into these bikes as well as other antique/classic bikes since 1985. Until about 3 years ago I never knew there was the possibility of original Black Schwinn Stingrays. This would all a learning thing for me.

Anything is possible, but without any type of tangible documentation issued by Schwinn, I would not put 100% belief in it as being true!

This is a repaint, the reprouction fork dart decals tell the story.

The ad in the link I posted did state the chain guard and fork were repainted. But nowhere in that ad did he state it was a Typhoon frame.

Here is a copy of that ad if some of you can not see it?

It's been noted that these Black Sting Rays originated from a specific area. Is there any info that a dealer might have that stipulates that Schwinn would build a model in a color that was it was not offered in, "if they ordered a large specific quantity" of those? I would think that would be very plausible and most likely what happened here. But over the years I've only seen a few of these but don't recall ever seeing a Shop's original sticker on the frame. Wouldn't a dealer slap his shop sticker on all these?

Back