When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory black Stingray ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Here's some documented news and it never happened. So I guess you can't believe everything that's printed.

Two new models for 1960!

1637289778466.png

And no documentation on the price sheet!
These two new models were never produced.
But it says Dealers could order these from their Schwinn Distrubutor.

1637289973349.png

The fact remains, Schwinn did produce some Black Sting Rays. Will you find them in the Catalogs or the Reporter? Nope! A special order was placed, approved and then the order was filled.

I'm sure many of you have heard about Schwinn producing bikes for Mead and for Chicago Cycle Supply Co. This is a very simple case where a special order was placed for a model's color that was not standard, so nothing special had to be manufactured, purchased or supplied. The order very well could have been made by the sales rep or manager of the Distribution center that supplied the bikes for the Texas, Oklahoma Zone. There will be no public announcements of this production, so you'll have to dig real deep in the land fills for any documentation or try to contact the manager of the Distribution center that supplied these pieces to the Dealers.

The fact remains, Schwinn did produce some Black Sting Rays. Will you find them in the Catalogs or the Reporter? Nope! A special order was placed, approved and then the order was filled.

I haven't seen any "Facts" posted here that Schwinn produced any black Sting-Rays! Just nothing but speculation as to how these bikes came to exist!

But we have seen strong factual evidence that these bikes are easily faked using black Typhoon bikes and/or frames!

That being said, we can all choose to believe what we want as it relates to the bikes(s) in question!

It blows my mind that a 1965 ten speed Varsity with a leather saddle, Sprint gearing and Weinmann caliper brakes, costs less than a super-deluxe Sting-ray, a coaster brake, single speed with a heavy, energy absorbing springer fork!
Supply & demand, StingRays were the hottest commodity in 65.

Enoug! All the lemmings here, all of us move on ok?
I agree, I was really hoping to get some useful info once the other post was locked out. It seems as though only a couple members own one and they are not talking. I hoped others would surface. I don't mind keeping it around in case someone comes up with something new. These bikes seem to get everyone's hackles up. Everyone hates a guy who is always the naysayer but it needs to be said. The most foolish questions are the ones never asked. A little humility goes a long way. We all need to lighten up, life is too short.

The bike on Ebay for 12k looks to be an original paint to me.
This black paint looks very similar to other OG black Schwinn bikes close in age. (A black Fastback)
I was asked to look over a black stingray for a buyer several years ago. Much like the bike on eBay it was a 2 speed Deluxe. With the reverse screen guard. If I remember right it was also a March serial number bike. I partially disassembled the bike and checked all date codes. Looked at the paint and decals. Looking for typical pedal strikes on the guard and wrench strikes close to the seat post clamp. The bike had all the wear and tear of a original bike. The condition was very similar to the bike on EBay. The bike came from Oklahoma area. I told the buyer in my opinion the paint was Original. He purchased the bike that day.
from that hands on experience and from the pics of the bike currently on EBay. Plus the fact Schwinn was painting black bikes in 1965.
I think they exist. But………
Because it such a sensitive subject. And the price of a Black Stingray. I would never personally list or sell one because I do not know with 100% confidence if the bike came from factory black.
I think it would be a cool build challenge to see who can build a 65 and make it look the most OG in black. I think even the best fake black stingray will look different from the one currently on eBay. I’m no expert. Just a extreme hobbiest who has put their hands on a potential “black” stingray.

Because it such a sensitive subject. And the price of a Black Stingray. I would never personally list or sell one because I do not know with 100% confidence if the bike came from factory black.

And this is the whole purpose of message board discussions such as this! To either prove or disprove that Schwinn ever made any in the Chicago Factory!

I am a firm believer that there would be documentation available if they were ever produced by Schwinn. And until I see that documentation, I will say they are all fabricated from outside sources, and not factory built bikes!

This is just for point of information from other post of Black Sting-ray's that were mentioned here for others to refer too.

"QUOTE"
Black Stingray (1965-1967)

The Schwinn black stingray was a promotional concept between 1965-1967. There were 10 given to a select few different Schwinn dealers each year (confirmed by Schwinn dealer). Some speculate that the reason that only specific stores got them was either they had high sales records or that they were selected to test how well the black stingray would sell for a consumer survey. So far, all the true original paint, black stingrays with photographic evidence, have been either a deluxe single speed J39+6 or a deluxe two speed J39-1. Currently, there is no evidence of a black standard stingray or a black super deluxe stingray on the internet, with close/detailed pictures of the serial number, original paint, and original screening.

The following black stingrays have been confirmed:

~1965 shorty frame, deluxe single speed J39+6 (2 currently found)

~1965 shorty frame, deluxe two speed J39-1 (8 currently found)

~1965 long frame, deluxe two speed J39-1 (1 currently found)

~1966 long frame, deluxe single speed J39+6 (3 currently found)

~1966 long frame, deluxe two speed J39-1 (1 currently found)

~1967 long frame, deluxe single speed J39+6 (3 currently found)

A couple of things to look out for when identifying an original paint black stingray:

~There should be red, terra cotta-like primer under the black paint (this will be visible in nicks and scratches throughout the bike or near where the rear axle attaches to the frame)

~If it is pre-March 1965, and is a shorty frame, it is possible for it to be an original black stingray, if the S2 single/two speed rear wheel seats in the frame properly (typhoon frames were made for S7 wheels and don’t fit S2’s nicely [are forced into the frame and are very tight]). In addition, the chainguard stencil should be clearly original and not tampered with (for example, if there are scratches under the stencil, then more than likely the guard has been tampered with).

~If it is past March 1965 and is a shorty frame, then it is not a black stingray, it is probably the frame of a typhoon, skipper, or fleet. Any black deluxe stingray after March 1965 are all long frames and cannot be a typhoon (all typhoons are shorty frames).

~If it is a long frame with obviously original black paint between April 1965-October 1967, more than likely it is an original black stingray.

~Be aware, a lot people think they have original black stingrays, but if they cannot prove with before-and-after pictures, and close ups of the paint and serial number, then be very cautious before purchasing.

Back