When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory error 47 canti

-

SJ_BIKER

Riding a 41 Super Deluxe
Im pretty sure someone in the schwinn factory got confused on this one. Its a cantilever frame with kickstand tube with post 48 angle position....the pencil tip stand was most likely heated and bent to ride along the wheel stay(see pic of the bend). I am assuming this sort of thing took place when pencil tip stands were switched over to new stands at the time....maybe this was a left over frame in 48? Id be curious to know if other 1947s had this done to fix the problem....if you have a 1947 dated schwinn...check it out and post a pic if you have the same bent stand....hope that poor worker didnt get fired...ill bet the final assembly dept lost productivity time over this small detail....

20180415_100506.jpg

20180415_100516.jpg

20180415_100536.jpg

20180415_100546.jpg

Last edited:
From what I can see in the pictures is the stand follows the chain stay until it hits the bend in the middle. Then it heads outward out of line with the chain stay. Looks like the stand was just bent somehow, possibly being over loaded with a 100 lbs. of newspapers or a basket full of fruit.

From what I can see in the pictures is the stand follows the chain stay until it hits the bend in the middle. Then it heads outward out of line with the chain stay. Looks like the stand was just bent somehow, possibly being over loaded with a 100 lbs. of newspapers or a basket full of fruit.
Thats what i thought until i ran a straight rod to see where the stand would have been before any bend whether factory or excess load....if the stand was straight it would be far too close to the spokes....dangerously close

20180415_112519.jpg

I have several stands on hand, and some of them have the slighter bend than others.

In the past few years, I have bought and sold several frames with both angles of the retainer. I was not aware that these were rare or anything, only that there have been enough of them go through my group that I make a point of looking for the angle of the retainer before jumping on a stand for sale. I am pretty sure that I have both types on a couple of bikes presently in the group. If I had known they were rare or different, I would have made conscious attempts to note them in the serial number database here.
The photos are two that you may recognize and both have different retainer tube angles. The canti has the slighter and the straightbar has the more acute. The others you would not have seen before, but they also vary in this respect. One of them has a bolt on stand and never had a retainer tube to start with.
46 B57174 A ~.jpg

46 C83420 A ~.jpg

Others...
46 B73179 A.jpg

46 B73179 B.JPG

46 J12303 A.jpg

46 J12303 B.JPG

forgot one:
46 C05143 A.JPG

46 C05143 B.jpg

Bolted One
46 B96743 B.JPG

I have added your serial number to the list, Thanks!

REC

Last edited:
Id be interested in knowing where those bends begin on the stands you have...i bet they are all around the same spot....

Last edited:
i.d. be interested in knowing where those bends begin on the stands you have...

Take a look at the retainer tube position on the frame to get the best answer. The B6 and singlebar frames are the slighter bent version (like the one you posted), the blue and the red DX are the ones that cross the stays at a slightly more perpendicular angle, and the black one is a BFG with a bolt-on stand. These at the ones that live here, and the first two came from one, thank you very much! Eventually I will get around to building the B6 and Straightbar, but I need to quit stuffing the queue with more current purchases! I have most everything I need to put them together, but the refinish process is the sticking point for now. Retirement is kind of sucking in that regard as I am an hour drive one way to the paint shop guy, and that was just the normal daily drive before I left working to relax and play all day (and if you believe the relax and play all day...... )
REC

Take a look at the retainer tube position on the frame to get the best answer. The B6 and singlebar frames are the slighter bent version (like the one you posted), the blue and the red DX are the ones that cross the stays at a slightly more perpendicular angle, and the black one is a BFG with a bolt-on stand. These at the ones that live here, and the first two came from one, thank you very much! Eventually I will get around to building the B6 and Straightbar, but I need to quit stuffing the queue with more current purchases! I have most everything I need to put them together, but the refinish process is the sticking point for now. Retirement is kind of sucking in that regard as I am an hour drive one way to the paint shop guy, and that was just the normal daily drive before I left working to relax and play all day (and if you believe the relax and play all day...... )
REC
I have a couple 46 models I'll check them out and get back to you on. I'm having a hard time finding a rear fender that the holes line up for one of them? It's like it has both prewar and postwar features? Help!!

Last edited:
The stands themselves aren't bent, although both tubes are welded on at different angles. One of them the stand is real close to the spokes like the fellow talked about above. One bike leans over normal and the other stands up almost too much. I only have photos of one of them with the cheesy after market fender on it. When I got it, it had a frame, head badge, crank and rusted in seat post with pipe wrench marks all over it.

SAM_2235.JPG
SAM_2234.JPG
SAM_2232.JPG

Last edited:
QUOTE="barnyguey, post: 869185, member: 28610"]Maybe people bent the stands so their bike would lean over correctly?[/QUOTE]
Look at the photo SJ attached (this one) and where he is pointing, the stand has indeed got a bend in it. These were replaced frequently due to the inherent weakness and ease of getting bent like this. I have a couple of them that look pretty close to bent exactly the same as his. They were not made this way.
The bend:
Bent here.jpg

Here is a perfectly straight one, though it has the other angle for the retainer tube. Putting one of these stands in the other retainer tube doesn't work out. Stand and spoke collision occurs! The stand SJ posted is the right stand for the retainer on his bike, it is just bent.

DSC00285.JPG

Just sayin'...
REC

Last edited:
Back