When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Farm Fresh 1967 Raleigh Sprite S5 Five Speed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I think this wire type rack came off of my other Sprite. Looks like a bronze-greenish color. Has anyone seen one of these and have any info on origin, etc.? Thanks for any info.

And that metal shifter unit is slightly later than 1967, but you should go with it if you can get it. The original would have been the small plastic type, but that's another part where unless you MUST have all original, go with the later part. The second type bell crank and the metal shifter are much better than the sheet metal early bell crank and the plastic shifters.

I will put that wire rack back on my fenderless Sprite. That will be my more road-bike like lightweight bike. I'll get some pics of that up when we thaw out here in Michigan. I like the natural lighting of the sun for better photo quality. Feels like the Arctic today. @PJ311foo knows what I'm talking about

You need to know which version of the nail your S5 equipped bike uses. The early nail is threaded, the later version isn’t. They don’t interchange. The idea with the first threaded version was it wouldn’t get lost when the bell crank was removed, but, it would split the retainer if the bike fell on the left side. The sheet metal bell crank only works with that version IIRC.
The sheet metal bell crank has a bad reputation, but, when you modify the left side with the spring, as the bikesmith, (Mark Stonich) recommends, they work just fine. I have two bikes with that setup. I’ve been at it long enough that I’ve converted AW hubs to S5 configuration. There are five bikes here with S5 hubs, organic Sturmey built, and my home brewed S5s. The Bikesmith sells AW and S5 parts and a wonderful cotter press for three piece cranks, just google him.
Your bike has had some changes since it was new. Those reflectors and the gum wall tires don’t belong, and neither does the kickstand. If you compare the stem with the version shown on the second pictured bike, you will see a standard stem has found it’s way into your bike. The Sprite in 1967 used the same beautiful forging that the Superbe uses. Pedals were hit and miss, the best are the rebuildable version, but you don’t always get them. Pictured are my Son and I in the middle of one of perhaps 10 Lake Pepin 3 speed Tours (yes, I cheat and use an S5 Sprite) my Sons Lake Pepin Sprite with an AW modified to S5 configuration, 27” alloy wheels, center pull brakes, and every piece of alloy components I could get my hands on. The last picture is my wife and I on the Munger Trail, just outside of Duluth, MN. Both bikes are S5 equipped.
Nice to find one so compete. Enjoy.

Ted

6F2A5578-28D6-4018-B6C7-2442673CE8ED.jpeg

741CEA35-3A4C-415C-8B86-6DB1DD83A3B7.jpeg

EAF25771-1569-482A-8227-F116B01D155E.jpeg

Thanks for the info. I love The Bikesmith. I have both the cotter press and the fixed cup tool from him. Also ordered cotters. I'll have to check with him if I don't have the correct push rod. The one that I was able to find on the bay looks like a nail and the narrow end is not threaded. Here are the parts that I've gathered. Also the new saddle. I did insert the rod into the left side of the axle and it seemed the proper length and acted as if it would engage shifting but it was not truly tested under fire.
Side note: nice looking collection there

Last edited:
I’m actually driving 3 1/2 hours today to rescue a his and hers pair of 24”
Raleigh Roadsters. When I get back, I’ll check my notes, but, if you know
Mark, you are off to a great start.
I do prefer to use pulleys with that shifter, but, have them set up both ways.
Good luck!
Ted

Back