When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Farm Fresh 1967 Raleigh Sprite S5 Five Speed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I’m actually driving 3 1/2 hours today to rescue a his and hers pair of 24”
Raleigh Roadsters. When I get back, I’ll check my notes, but, if you know
Mark, you are off to a great start.
I do prefer to use pulleys with that shifter, but, have them set up both ways.
Good luck!
Ted
Great info. Never even thought about pulleys.

I love a good bike picking road trip. I may be grabbing one today as well. 20 minute drive for me though. Safe travels

Almost all of the S5 hubs I have seen are marked 67, I have one on hand that is marked 68. Not all of the bikes were built in 1967, but, most of the hubs were.
The plastic shifters were the bad thing about these bikes. I’d bet those metal shifters we sometimes see were a direct result of broken plastic shifters, early in the S5 game. Raleigh supplied them to dealers, and if a customer came in, hot under the collar, they quietly made it right for him.
7 hours on the road today, it never got above 0 degrees in northern Wisconsin, rescued a his and her early 1980s pair of Raleigh Roadster rod brake bikes. I gave the guy $100 for both, pretty sure they were headed for the curb with a “free” sign on them, I think they will end up under people in my tweed group, hope so, anyway-I’m up to 20 bikes I think.
Too much fun.

Saved these two from the final push to the curb with the obligatory “Free” sign hung on them. In that part of the world, that would mean a scrapper got them. 1973 Women’s 22” (Thank God) and 1974 Men’s 24” Roadsters.
Gave him $100 for both. They have seats and pedals, took ‘em off to get both bikes in the bed under the tonneau cover, keeping a bunch of Wisconsin road salt off them and my bike rack.
Probably end up under someone in my tweed club.

EAA829BC-6332-4AD7-B0F4-0ED9FA86F6A1.jpeg

BF5E91BD-3E22-4528-9589-AC35034FB14E.jpeg

If you are going to be doing serious miles on your old Raleigh email this guy for metal replacement fulcrum sleeves, and pulley wheels:

If either of the original plastic parts fail, you are stuck in third gear. The metal parts he sells are well made. He also sells copies of a knurled brass inner tube cap, copied from a TOC Iver Johnson, and an alloy seat bolt, copied from a pre war Sunbeam, I think.

The Lake Pepin Tour is coming up, May 15-16. Maybe you should do it on the old bike this year?

Ted

Rehab work has started. Follow the progress here

Back